Hobie 18

$outhpaw

Good luck sailing one 1up unless your experienced. Not a good boat for a novice to attempt to sail 1up.

Start with how in gods name do you rig it alone and launch it alone (they aren't light like an A class)

Then they carry a fair amount of sail area and at 74kgs your optimum for a 14ft'er. Most H18 crews sail around 150-160kgs or more. Basically i'd class it as unsafe to sail one 1up unless your very experienced, because if/when you do get caught on a day where its nice and the breeze then kicks in, when you capsize and it goes turn turtle you're all but screwed alone.

Not a nice situation to be in the middle of a bay like Port Phillip, with a boat you can't right...

Agree with TS260 on all points, I sail my 18 1up but am 97-100 kg, and would not be able to right the boat unassissted. They are a very forgiving boat with plenty of bouyancy in the bows so little tendency to pitchpole, the furling jib is easy to use and neccessary when sailing solo, a slab reef in the main would be a good idea for your weight. Raising the mast alone is possible with a bit of prior planning. They are no longer built in Aus so parts have to be imported, corrosion in beams and around dolphin striker (make sure it is free enough to adjust) is common.

Archived