5.8 mainsheet Block modifications?

whitek

I need to add more purchase to my mainshhet block.

I have a 7 to 1 block at present. I am finding it "tough" to get block to block.

I think if I can add an extra pulley into the block system I may be able to get more purchase on the main sheet.

The bottom block at present is a Ronstan RF1731 with an added small pulley (RF1708) added to it. Top block is a PYE 3 Pulley 56MM Block where the mainsheet ties off to. I am thinking that if I add another small pulley to this top block and run the main sheet end back to the bottom block and tie off o will get an 8:1 purchase. Can any one help with any ideas? Or photos?

Go with a 40mm harken quad block. shop around, should cost about 170 delivered INC GST.

putting a block under what you have will cost you about 50mm of room. if your close to block to block then you wont have the room anyhow.

[This message has been edited by HooD (edited 15 October 2006).]

Thanks Hood.

I see that this would be an answer and take your point re the 50mm or so of "give away" using the method I suggested.

The Harken quad block would be the best way to go so as to give less friction as well, however I would now need to tie off on the bottom block somewhere?? The RF1731 bottom block I have does not have a tie off point at the larger (3 block position)and that is where I presume I should be tieing off?

I don't really want to purchase another bottom block as well. I was wondering if I changed the smaller pully on the Bottom Ronstan (RF1731) for one that has a tie off point then I could tie off on the bottom block there??? However, I am not sure as to what effect that will have on the attack angle of the cleat as it may tend to pull the cleat angle higher, not to mention I still may loose a few mills in block to block headroom.

I was trying to solve the problem by not throwing away all the blocks i have at present if I can.

Ahh huh, but that saddle is already being used for a small single pulley block. I only have a 3 pulley (56mm) pulley block on the traveller block and a smaller single pulley on the saddle cleat to give me the 7 to 1 purchase I have at the moment. How many pulleys do you have on yopur lower traveller block? I could not tell from the photo.

I think that you are spending money where it is not needed. Have a closer look at the other boats or even take one for a sail and see how you go with a different machine. I was skippering a 5.8 when I was 15 and had no worries at all with the main at 7:1. Maybe it is not threaded correctly. Maybe you need to clean out the crap in the blocks. You might be running less mast rake than the others or your rope is not adequate enough for the job.

I would check everything before just adding purchase.

I could be wrong.

First of all,

Hood, Thanks for the pics and the advice. I see now from the photos that I can connect the end of the sheet and also have the smaller pulley connected to the saddle at the same point. This was the missing link in my understanding. The piscs helped.

I have ordered the Quad Harken block today.

Should be able to run it at the weekend and see if I can pull it on block to block. As you say, as we get more mature, a little help is required. I am not 15 anymore.

Emmessee, I'm only a 74Kilo weakling (midget) 5ft 7in with a girlie crew (5ft 2in at 54Kilos to work the sheets. Too much effort in getting block to block brings me out in a sweat and my mascarra runs.

Tornado: 10 to 1 blocks look interesting on your beast? It appears that there is a method of reducing the mainsheet from 3/8th diameter to smaller to reduce friction thru the blocks?? I would be interested in knowing how this is acheived. Is it special sheeting or can it be accomplished by splicing two sheets together in some way??

Interesting Photos. Thanks guys for your input.

HooD,

What size Mainsheet are you running thru the 40mm blocks? By your photos it looks like either 10mm or possibly 8mm? Do you have any problems running the 10mm thru the Harken 40mm quad block? My mainsheet at present is 10mm.

I am thinking of maybe reducing from 10mm down to 6mm to run it thru the blocks???

I see that the Tornado guys seem to splice a reduction sheet (looks like 6mm to me from the photos)into their mainsheet to get a more responsive frictionless flow thru the blocks.

What do you think of the idea?

That is my younger brothers mainsheet, it is 8mm. 8mm runs just fine through the blocks, 10mm is too big and will alays be a drag on the system.

On my own system I use a 4mm and 8mm tapered sheet (sames as the stuff tornado pictured). Its kind of a weird feeling but as you get closer to block to block the easier it gets to pull. have to be so carefull not to oversheet and stall the boat.

Archived