nacra 5.8 weights, values, speeds, stiffness

HooD

With respect John, by the sounds of it, this info has not been widely available, and seems to be have been spread mainly by word of mouth (and all the successive misinterpretations that usually go with that).

As mentioned previously, I will be scanning the docs I receive from BCC and a link will be posted here and on the NSW Super Series website ASAP.

Once we have ALL seen and discussed the detail, we can then go the AGM (assuming it is not past the date for submissions) for discussion on the various topics.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Originally posted by John Wright:

It would probably be easier to continue this thread if all those interested obtained a copy of the rules from their District Secretary.

Show me the Tasmanian rep/ association??? the closest thing to that is me and I dont have a copy.

Originally posted by John Wright:

Hi Martin, the addition of weight to compensate for crews failing to meet requirements under rule 7.1d is limited to a max. of 23kgs. If the crew carrying 23kg is still under weight, they are accepted as legal for racing.

It would probably be easier to continue this thread if all those interested obtained a copy of the rules from their District Secretary.

Great Idea John.

REV and I are working on getting a copy of the rules at the moment. As soon as we get the rules I will post them on the Super Series website and let all Catsailor.net users aware.

We may also be having a re-shuffle of the Nacra NSW / Nacra Super Series websites in the near future too. I'll keep everyone posted.

Thanks Goose. Also, seeing how there is no minimum weight specified...

How do people feel about weighing the trophy winners so that the rest of us know that it has been the sailing that has won, not the boat.

Sction 1: ... the official plans and specifications are intended to ensure that the catamarans of these classes are as nearly as possible the same as regards to shape and weight of hulls ...

I would think that would mean no more than 1-3kg difference in the weight of the bare platform.

[This message has been edited by dryzabone 644 (edited 15 December 2006).]

dagger boards 10kg, full rudder system (blades'stocks & tiller arm) 10kg so all up 20kg striaght from the factory. doubt you would knock 15kg off that, maybe 5-10 if you knew what you where doing but i would only be guessing. i do reckon that you would would take 15-20kg off an old 600 number boat if you put the new boards and rudder system off the 1600 onto it. the dagger's in my old boat where very heavy.

In the cobra class rules it quite clearly states that all boats shall carry a 20m towing rope. In principal a fine idea. however none of them do this is club level and not even at their national titles!

Sometimes you need to ignore the rules in favor of common sense.

I cannot agree with adding weights to light crews on heavy boats. that is absolutely ridiculous. 5kg of boat weight is easily worth 10kg of body weight.

If there was a min weight imposed, I cant see myself adding weights to the boat, the thing is hard enough to get in and out of the water as it is.

[This message has been edited by HooD (edited 17 December 2006).]

hi ,

some years ago all cats had to have a "towing bridle" fitted ,between the hulls and able to be extended to a point forward of the existing bridle wires ,to enable the boat to be "safely towed", i believe that this rule was enforced by the "sailing authorities". Many boats that come for repair,etc.,still have this system fitted, and the owners do not know what it is for,

it is not fitted to later cats, and is often removed as "unneccessary".

The NACRA class rules state that a "righting" rope is required.(see 13.2 )

pete smile.gif

Hi Hood,

In regards to your comments on ignoring rules in favour of common sense, I couldn't disagree more.

Quite often, the best way to get a silly rule changed is to enforce it religiously, which if it is as silly as people think, creates the momentum to have the rule changed to a more sensible one. As Rev as said in a previous post, if the coroner is asking why a rule wasn't enforced and the answer is "we didn't feel like enforcing it", then we'll see you in five to ten years.

My point about enforcing the length of the righting rope was a shot at enforcing the 140kg crew weight as a safety issue (when it is not in the safety section), but a minimum safety requirement such as the length of the righting rope goes unchecked (for the record, a 4.5m righting rope sounds about right to me).

Back to enforcing silly rules ... how can anyone enforce "no lightening of the hulls" when we have no idea how much they were supposed to weigh in the first place?

Archived