Jump to content

nacra downhaul


enaiche
 Share

Recommended Posts

I am about to install a new downhaul system on my 4.5 and would like to know why nacras (and possibly some others) have a downhaul cringle (eyelet) something like 30 cm up the sail rather than at the tack and why some nacras have two cringles.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Will

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Cormeister

On most Nacras the two cringles on the luff are used as follows

You should have 2 stainless steel hooks with double pulleys on each, this hooks through the top cringle (one on each side).

The lower cringle allows the downhaul rope to pass from one side of the mast (at either 3 or 4 to one depending on the number of pulleys) this then repeats on the other side of the mast. For a while some people added an extra two single pulleys (one on either side of the sail with a bolt through the top of the cringle) to help reduce the amount of froiction and drag on this section of the downhaul (this is not essential). If it still doesnt make sense try ringing Ross or Warren at Brisbane Cat Centre, they should be able to set you straight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is anyone able to post a photo or two on how they do their downhaul? I sail a 5.8 and have been told to use all 4 steel hooks (with the pulley on each)with two on each side of the main for the downhaul and then run the downhaul cord through the corresponding pulley/cleats at the base of the mast (there are two either side of the mast). I can get the downhaul working ok but it just doesn't look or seem right the way i am doing it??!! I few photos would really help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Hi, I am having some real problems with my downhaul. As I do not have a backing plate under my outside deck edge so am limited to running adjacent to my beam and cleating off on a cleat on the beam, works well but for some reason even with a purchase of 6 to 1 on both sides then equalised through pulleys under the tramp( so effectively 12 to 1) I cannot physically get the bottom of my new sail to pull down any lower than 2 inches above the base of the mast. Is not depowering much of the sail so still way overpowered in over 15 knot winds.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by hzeeman:

Hi, I am having some real problems with my downhaul. As I do not have a backing plate under my outside deck edge so am limited to running adjacent to my beam and cleating off on a cleat on the beam, works well but for some reason even with a purchase of 6 to 1 on both sides then equalised through pulleys under the tramp( so effectively 12 to 1) I cannot physically get the bottom of my new sail to pull down any lower than 2 inches above the base of the mast. Is not depowering much of the sail so still way overpowered in over 15 knot winds.

over 15 kts single handed I am always overpowered even with max down hall. Twist off the top of your main a fraction to counter the heel by slightly easing your main sheet and drop your traveller a fraction. Read the goose marine tips its all in there and theres loads of other useful tips...Good Luck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, I am having some real problems with my downhaul. As I do not have a backing plate under my outside deck edge so am limited to running adjacent to my beam and cleating off on a cleat on the beam, works well but for some reason even with a purchase of 6 to 1 on both sides then equalised through pulleys under the tramp( so effectively 12 to 1) I cannot physically get the bottom of my new sail to pull down any lower than 2 inches above the base of the mast. Is not depowering much of the sail so still way overpowered in over 15 knot winds.

have you released the luff rope in the sail??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a 14sq that I am developing as a beater and have made some changes to factory. My inhaul now has an RF5, cheek block and shock cord added for very positive placement at all times. I have placed a plate in between the two grommets for douwnhaul to stop wrinkling and have four 29ml blocks tied through grommets Two up, two down and one at base of mast. 8l1 and works a treat.

Have also made window larger and changed twisted shackle at lock for smaller size. All great improvements to me. For my liking the sail has too much belly and the next thing might be taking a bit off the top of the sail while retaiining length of bolt rope to make it flatter and cleaner.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by zeflyguy:

over 15 kts single handed I am always overpowered even with max down hall. Twist off the top of your main a fraction to counter the heel by slightly easing your main sheet and drop your traveller a fraction. Read the goose marine tips its all in there and theres loads of other useful tips...Good Luck.

thanks, will check out

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by hzeeman:

How do i release my luff rope?

Best think to do would be to take your main to the sail maker and have him release it ,or you can do it yourself ,the bolt rope down the front of the sail it attached buy stitching at the top and bottom of the sail ,because the rope doesn't stretch at the same rate as the Dacron cloth the rope actually stops the sail from flatting out so you have to unstitch the bolt rope at the bottom of the sail ,pin the head to the ground or tie it to something grab the bottom of the sail at the luff end and pull the crap out of it ,the bolt rope should disappear up the sail ,usually there's no length on the bolt rope hanging out the bottom of the sail you have to add some more rope of the same size ,I use 10mm Silva rope ,then with your sail needle stitch it back up (stitch the bolt rope to the sail)

Best of getting a sail maker to do it ,it's a neater job,but I've had occasions where I've had to do it in the middle of a regatta.

this will alow you to pull down a shitload of downhaul and flatern your sail and give you more control ,you'll notice when a gust hits you the boat will take of forward instead of wildly flying a hull.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Village Idiot:

Best think to do would be to take your main to the sail maker and have him release it ,or you can do it yourself ,the bolt rope down the front of the sail it attached buy stitching at the top and bottom of the sail ,because the rope doesn't stretch at the same rate as the Dacron cloth the rope actually stops the sail from flatting out so you have to unstitch the bolt rope at the bottom of the sail ,pin the head to the ground or tie it to something grab the bottom of the sail at the luff end and pull the crap out of it ,the bolt rope should disappear up the sail ,usually there's no length on the bolt rope hanging out the bottom of the sail you have to add some more rope of the same size ,I use 10mm Silva rope ,then with your sail needle stitch it back up (stitch the bolt rope to the sail)

Best of getting a sail maker to do it ,it's a neater job,but I've had occasions where I've had to do it in the middle of a regatta.

this will alow you to pull down a shitload of downhaul and flatern your sail and give you more control ,you'll notice when a gust hits you the boat will take of forward instead of wildly flying a hull.

Thanks mate, appreciate your help on this one. Was frustrating the hell out of me

rgds

Henk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Goose,

that is only 12:1

the extra pulley you have in the center doesnt do anything, its only a guide.

While your editing your PDF goose...

the port cleat is reversed, wouldnt hold much and you couldnt pull it on!

and the two cheek blocks are pictured upside down!!

[This message has been edited by HooD (edited 18 April 2007).]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are right, but it is only a quick diagram to show the system, and nothing else.

Most people run separate sides and as such usually run out of adjustment. This demonstrates what I believe to be a better system, as you know, as you also run a similar setup.

If the previous posts are having problems with downhaul this eliminates one problem.

I think however not having the full picture, ie rig settings etc, that their issues will also be related to mast/spreader/diamond settings as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...