Which Nacra?

gloryhound

I have spoken to Ross at BCC, now I would like a 'slightly' less bias opinion.

I am an adrenaline junky--race 16ft skiffs on saturdays and A-class cat on sundays

On a limited budget, with crew--which Nacra would I like ?(and don't even consider suggesting a 5.0 as the A-class will kill em with the main only half way up)

I know the F18 by reputation and racing against them, does anyone have an opinion on the Inter 17 ?

One of NACRA'a best kept secrets.......1 up cat rigged with or without assy, 2 up sloop rigged with or without assy.......a truly all round performance cat.

OK, I'm a little biassed as I've owned one for 2 years but email me if there is anything you need to know.

HI.

Just after it was introduced the Inter17

won the prestigous

"INTERNATIONAL BOAT OF THE YEAR",

in the UNITED STATES.

Pretty good for a locally,

Brisbane Australia, designed and built boat.

Ross Guinea has continually upgraded the Catamaran scene not only here in Brisbane, Australia, but all around the world.

pete

Hi,

As usual,it all depends on where you sail. Some venues are predominantly one particular class, some mixed classes, some only one "size",some , only to happy to see you.

Inter 17 is sailed at clubs all over,

have you been all over? smile.gif

The VYC Yardstick is 72.5,

For comparison, the Hobie 17 is 82.5

pete smile.gif

Hi xmatelot,

i sail in Bris vegas. Thanks for the yardstick, that gives me a good idea of where they are at--A Class being 71, f18 70.

So the Inter 17 at 72.5 is obviously no slouch, but on paper the 5.8 is 70.

So what are the advantages/ disadvantages of an Inter 17 over a 5.8?

I've sailed only at Cleveland Yacht Club and Humpybong Sailing Club--lots of Nacra 16s, 5.0 and 5.8 and Infusion but no Inter 17s.

The 5.8's yardstick is 72 for sloop rigged and 70 with a kite. Advantages for a 5.8 is there is plenty of them scattered around the country so you should be able to find a fleet of them to sail with, there is nothing better than class racing instead of sailing against a yardstick.

There is nothing like a 5.8 in 20 -25 knots on a reach.

Also these boats can be pick up at a very resonable price second hand.

I have only seen a Inter 17 in a magazine and on the internet.

Originally posted by xmatelot:

HI.

Just after it was introduced the Inter17

won the prestigous

"INTERNATIONAL BOAT OF THE YEAR",

in the UNITED STATES.

Pretty good for a locally,

Brisbane Australia, designed and built boat.

Ross Guinea has continually upgraded the Catamaran scene not only here in Brisbane, Australia, but all around the world.

pete

It's just a pity then that the boat that won that title is not the one designed in Brisbane as the Australian Inter 17 has totally different hulls to the one available in the US and in Europe, which would lead one to ask is it really a Nacra then?

There curtainly are good 5.8s around. And class racing beats the hell out of racing on handicap/ yardstick.

But what, then, is the difference between a kite rigged 5.8 and an Infusion? I know thw sails are definitely a different cut and material, but what about speed and ease of rigging use?

Hi LC,

I believe that the "Inter 17", (as designed) won that award, but the US made some subtle differences later to produce the "F17", different beam wells to allow for canted hulls, and it had options for carbon fibre mast, and other more expensive( exotic ? ) gear.

The Inter 17 here in Australia is as the original version.

A very good ,adaptable catamaran.

pete smile.gif

[This message has been edited by xmatelot (edited 06 October 2007).]

What a wonderful problem to have......so many good boats to choose from!

NACRA 16square: 130kg & VYC 79.5 sailed 1 up cat rigged with competetive class racing. A few getting around with assys. Boomless and a delight to sail.

NACRA 5.0: 130kg & VYC 81.0 sailed 1 or 2 up cat or sloop rigged with good class racing. A "bulletproof" boomless, boardless classic design. Great off the beach. Easy to own.

NACRA 17: 120kg & VYC 72.5 sailed 1 or 2 up cat or sloop rigged with assy. Set up similar to and sails more like a smaller & lighter F18.

NACRA 5.8: 160kg & VYC 70/72 (with/without assy) sailed 2 up sloop rigged with competitive class racing. A few getting around with assys. An "absolute classic" with some of the best 1 design racing available. Boomless and very powerful.

NACRA Infusion F18: 180kg and VYC 70.0 with high level national and world class racing. An "awesome" cat of ultra modern design that is very powerful but yet a delight and responsive to sail. What more can you say?

How could anyone be disappointed with ANY of the above choices? All are great boats. I guess as always it all comes down to the usual questions of budget, social or racing use, 1 up or 2 up (crew available?), and ease of launching/handling/storage.

I have been priveliged to have sailed all these cats (as well as the 4.5 and Maricat 4.3) and owned 3 of them. I recently had the opportunity to crew on an Infusion and have no hesitation in saying that it is by far the best cat sailing experience I have ever had!

As for me, I currently own a NACRA 17 fully set up with assy snuffer and self tacking jib and find it an absolute delight under all conditions. It is light, balanced and responsive 1 up and can be righted by myself at 80kgs. It is an absolute blast 2 up under assy and 20-25 knts wind. My top speed so far is 23.6knts (Velicitek GPS) and best 10 sec average of 21.9 knts. This was a very wild ride! However, high teens is regularly doable and sustainable.

Makes an old man very happy!

Hi

It seems you've already made up your mind on the nacra 17 but thought ide put in my bit anyway.

I'm 17 and also share your passion for high adrenelin sports. I race moto x, down hill mtb, rock climbing etc.

I've never sailed a 17 but i've been sailing on the 5.8's for the last year or so and they are fantastic boats! very controllable and got plenty of power, enough to keep me gripping my seat! but by far the best thing about the 5.8's is the social group surrounding them, everyone is extremly happy to share "go fast" tips and all the latest on these boats. and even though on the water the compitition is tight and sometimes quite violent (as you'll know from any racing) everyone always gathers afterwards to share sailing stories and often to much beer.

so any way there's my opinion.

The 5.8's are a fantastic boat, but i'm sure you'll be happy whatever nacra u chose.

Seb

Hi Seb,

Thanks for your input--I tend to forget about the social/tips side of things occasionally. Some classes are very good in that regard, while others are cut throat. I race in one of each at the moment.

The 5.8 is definitely better for class racing, but the 17 is lighter and more versatile in which way it can be rigged (see--easier to handle out of the water, whcih is important for me and can be sailed solo or with crew). So it's a bit of a catch 22.

Also, there are a lot of 5.8's around at a good price, while a 17 would have to be purchased new.

Who am I trying to convince ? you or me?

• 3 months later...

If I read that all correctly ... I could set up an Inter17 as:

Catrig

Catrig + spinnaker

Sloop

Sloop + spinnaker

Is the 21sqm sail area including or excluding the spinnaker?

Does the sloop rig + spin have the bridal foil?

What are they worth?

[This message has been edited by dryzabone 644 (edited 08 February 2008).]

Hi Bundewallah,

Check out the VYC Yardstick info on site (http://www.vic.yachting.org.au/site/yachting/vic/downloads/Yardsticks05_06.pdf ) for a full list of comparative yardsticks, what they mean and how they should be used.

Hey Dryzabone,

Yes, the NACRA 17 is designed and set up for all the configurations you mention.

The 21 square metres sail area described in the NACRA 17 specs on site (http://www.nacra.com.au/inter17.htm) is for total main & jib area. The spinnaker adds another 20 square metres to this to give an overall total of some 41 square metres downwind sail area.

With a relatively light overall weight, this gives a pretty exciting downhill ride........

Cheers,

eroom

Hi Dryzabone,

"Does the sloop rig + spin have the bridal foil?"

The 17 that I own doesn't have the bridle foil. It is set up near indenticaly to a F18 with wire bridle, self tacking jib with furler and spinnaker snuffer. While there would be some who would argue that not having a furler lets you run the jib slightly lower and have stiffer jib battens, I have found that the furler completes a very flexible all round sailing package that let's you instantly reduce or incraese sail area as required. Very handy coming into shore with inexperienced crew and heavy conditions.

I have seen a few cats set up with with bridle foil and snuffer and that seems to work equally well although it does look a little more complex to set up and rig. A matter of personal choice and preference I guess?

Hope that helps.......

Cheers,

eroom

Originally posted by xmatelot:

Hi,

Inter 17 is sailed at clubs all over,

have you been all over? smile.gif

pete smile.gif

One of the big problems with the internet is that it is easy for people to make ridiculous claims that appear to be believable!

Pete, exactly what do you mean by "all over"?

[This message has been edited by mal gray (edited 20 February 2008).]

I have to admit ...

My initial fascination with the 17 is starting to disappear, mainly because there is almost zero chance of enough showing up at a States or Nationals to form a class.

The main reason for my interest is to have a boat that can be competitive with my 5.8 mates with Skipper + crew, and when I can't find crew, I can go cat/sloop rig by myself and still keep up.

At the moment, a newer 5.8 is looking good.

Great boat! Just do it, it’ll bring a Big smile to your face!

Speaking of smiles, on a recent long weekend at Lake Cootharabah I came back to find a new sailing family struggling to rig their very pre loved H16 (yes I know this is a NACRA thread). The fact they literally had the jib upside down and didn’t have a mainsheet wasn’t helping. After an hour of laughs, a complete re rig and a few borrowed bits and shackles, I got mum & dad back on the water with their Hobie and together with their 2 kids on my boat we headed out for some 2 boat sailing lessons and a great time. I’ve never seen such big smiles all round. Best $500 worth of fun anyone ever bought! I guess that underlines the theme of this thread, the best boat is the one that meets the owner’s needs and brings the biggest smiles. Nothing more, nothing less.

I’m just one of those thousands (no, I haven’t counted them, just a guess) of ordinary recreational sailors that can be found all round the waterways of this fantastic sailing paradise called Australia. I’m never going to be a Glen Ashby or even the local club champion but I’m a rusted on passionate sailor of over 30 years experience. You’ll see me at Raby Bay with friends doing the occasional lap of Peel Island. You’ll see me sailing around St Helena or up near Scarborough and generally messing about Moreton Bay or one of the local dams. I thoroughly enjoy a run down to Macleay and Russell Island. I spent 3 days earlier this year on beautiful Wallis Lake (near Tuncurry/Forster) just blasting up and down with perfect 10/15knts SE winds. I’ll be up at Hervey Bay this Easter doing my favourite run over to Woody Island or Fraser if the tides and conditions permit.

I subscribe to that simple philosophy of the sea: “any day spent messing about in boats is a good day”

I’m not wondering what the future will hold….I believe sailing at the grass roots real world level is going great guns! Just remember that sailors like me are the ones who buy your pre raced boats. Wherever I go there are always new friends to meet, sail with and share some good laughs and stories. Surprisingly, I’ve even found that just like the internet, you can’t believe everything you’re told even in the rigging park (I know, I was shocked too!)

I love meeting people who are both passionate and totally one eyed about their boats. They are usually generous with their time and great to be with. I always find it interesting (myself included) that if you ask any proud owner why their boat is best they will always give you the Full Sell. However, if you talk to them a few years later, they are just as passionate about their New boat! Such is life!

As for me, my ideal boat would be an F16 (am I allowed to say that? Oh well, too late!). I have followed with enormous interest the overseas and local threads on the development of the F16 and am excited about its future here in Australia. However, about 2 years ago I found that the sheer practicality of living only 30 minutes from the NACRA factory (they are very helpful at BCC, just ask Pete) and the availability of a ready to sail NACRA 17 fully kitted and kited with all the good bits and ready to go was too much to resist. This thing just flies and is everything an F16 is (OK, so it is a tad heavier) and at a fraction of the price. A spinnaker has to be the most fun you can have on a catamaran. It is bullet proof and a joy to own and makes an old man very happy with a permanent smile! Ask me in a few years what is the best boat……….

Don’t wait any longer, check out what's available and just buy the boat that suits your needs and get out there!

Life is too short to sail slowly…..

Paul

Archived