Mainsheet blocks?

tonyquoll

Hi

Dad's Nacra 14square has a 6:1 mainsheet, on a 14m square sail! If he hauls it in hard enough to cleat it, there's too much force holding to release it when a gust hits.

Can anyone recommend a good set of blocks to resolve the issue?

On the Paper Tiger (9m square sail) I've a 6:1 system, and use 8mm rope with Ronstan Series 30 Orbit, which are ultra-light and cheaper. Would these be strong enough for the Nacra?

tonyquoll@yahoo.com

1 In gusts let the traveler out first and then dump the main if required.

2 Position the mainsheet cleat jaws about horizontal or just under so that you can just flick the rope up and it should release, or alternatively lift the sheet so it pulls out of the jaws.

1 In gusts let the traveler out first and then dump the main if required.

2 Position the mainsheet cleat jaws about horizontal or just under so that you can just flick the rope up and it should release, or alternatively lift the sheet so it pulls out of the jaws.

Thanks; that's good advice.

Having looked at photos of other Nacras with large sails, I see they have 10:1 mainsheet blocks with 5 pulleys in a row (pentuple blocks?). Cant seem to find these in any catalog. Ronstan offer triple blocks and Harken quadruples.

Angus at Ronstan offered this tip:

"we have just launched an new quad block that will allow you to make a 9:1 system. What you will need to make the 9:1 system is;

RF55410 55mm Quad Block.

RF56330B 55mm Triple Ratchet & Cleat.

RF45201 40mm Double Block

RF9004-09 Rope loop, to loop the RF45201 on to the Becket of the RF56330B

These products are new and are not up on our website yet."

"Another thing to remember is that rope choice will also affect the performance of the system, I would recommend a soft plaited rope with no core."

He provided a photo and catalog excepts; I can forward by email if anyone wants a look tonyquoll@yahoo.com

Archived