F18 and F16HP

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hood,

"I'm sure Andrew and Mal are flat out writing small essays why this wont work blah blah blah... should see em soon fellas??""

I think that a Formula 16 is a great idea !

Long enough for ya.

As for seeing a F18 you might have to hop off that rock of yours and get to the mainland... - see you in Adelaide

Sorry Mal, Andrew, now I look at it that post was a little bit misleading (maybe more than a bit). when i said

I'm sure Andrew and Mal are flat out writing small essays why this wont work blah blah blah... should see em soon fellas??
I was actuly refering to this:

"Formula 19 sounds like an enviromentaly freindly way of recycling all these 19ft boats, interesting.."

I have no problems with f16's and they suit light weight crews down to the ground.

why stop there walker, when was the last time you seen a A Class win a worlds with an aluminium windbreak up the front of their sail?? smile.gif

[This message has been edited by HooD (edited 09 May 2002).]

Huh? I thought everyone on the mainland had broadband?. down here on the rock we have high speed internet access.

35 posts takes me about 1-2 secs to load, still shouldnt take that long on dial-up?

The RC-30 was designed to provide comfortable high-speed sailing in a package easily handled by a crew of two or three. The exceptionally fine hull shape, coupled with common sense rigging and sophisticated construction techniques, yield a lightweight boat with unmatched speed and versatility. The RC-30 is easily assembled by two people and launched from a beach without the need for a crane or elaborate trailer.

Three people on wire with the kite up would be a buzz, but your going to want to practice your running, on an average race you most likley going to run 2-3ks just tacking *tounge in cheek*

walker,

Please do not use this forum to attack other sailors personally.

Also hiding behind a non-registered user and having your say is a bit weak !

Your IP address was from Sydney area

We do not want this BBS to become a slanging forum.

catsailor

[This message has been edited by catsailor.net (edited 11 May 2002).]

I probably would have registered if I had realised that this thing was so addictive.

Many of you know me as Walker but for those that don't, feel free to crucify me.

dondull@ozemail.com.au

Brisbane 5.7 Taipan sailor with kite AUS177 & keen promoter of large cats with kites.

Just turn up on your old tornado, 5.8, 5.7,F18 or any other piece of junk and lets go and have some fun. Like Cat Challenge last year.

Whilst it would be nice to have all shiney new one design boats this is some distance down the track.

Should we just stop sailing until our budget allows us to buy one of these beauties.

By then I'll be 50 and looking for new challenges.

Oh and sorry Nev for the comment, but we really get tired of your voice after a while.

Don/Walker

We all want the same thing - close and competative racing and we all have the same problem - not enough boats and to many classes.

Call me naive but I really think that most of the problems come from the yardsticks that do not reflect the speed of the various classes. If all sailors of the class of Bundock, Forbes etc sailed paper tigers I believe the yardstick of this boat would be similar to a Nacra and taipan 5.7, Not a true indication of the boat.

Therefore I see the F18 as a very good comprimise - all boats must weight the same have the same sail area and crew weights

and all have the same yardstick - so who cares about the yardstick - no one!.

Yes the Nacra F18 will be faster than the tiger and Taipan and Capricorn in some conditions and visa versa but at least we can all sail together as one class.

This has to be good for cat sailing in the future (+5years). As for now we have to have the pain of "another" 3 or 4 new Catamarans further splitting the fleet.... but we are heading to a F18 or f16 situation in the future and that must be good.

Whew ! - back to work now

Originally posted by berthos:

Those big cats have pissy little foils for their size don't they!!

Are they quick? or just big?

Well i was looking through the Texel rating this morning, and the rating for the rc27 is 81 to give you an idea, they rate the new big rig Tornado off 91. anything that can blow one of those baby's away has to be amazingly fast.

The other thing I noticed, they rated the nacra 5.8 faster that a taipan 5.7, that just didnt seem right to me.

[This message has been edited by HooD (edited 12 May 2002).]

Donnie........ I thought "Walker" was some one I knew

This will be short as I just wrote an essay and lost it when I hit "submit"

I apologize if other "over-enthusiastic associates" annoy you, but don't tar us all with the same brush.

You have misunderstood my points

1/ All catsailing is good.

2/ F18 is an option for some people when they are considering upgrading/renewing their boat

3/ I am not seriously suggesting you dump your 5.7 and get a Tiger, Nacra F18, Taipan F18 or even "butcher" your own boat unless you want to.

4/ I do respect your affection for 5.7 and spinnaker sailing and I enjoy racing and having a beer with you but I don't criticise your choice so I ask you not to bash mine.

Your comment about Tiger being smallest fleet is not true. What about Cat Challenge and Foster last year to name a couple.

Yes, some of us did rest our Tigers for a while to practise for the H16 worlds, but were back with a vengeance and we're bringing some new chums to play with so get used to it.

As for the yardstick issue, I can't believe that people are talking about boycotting Tigers because of their yardstick. The VYC yardstick is 72. Correct me if I'm wrong but Yardsticks are the responsibility of independent authorities, not individual sailors or manufacturers. Do what you want with it but if the ones complaining are doing so on the basis of one regatta in Yeppoon, ask them to consider that

A/ I did not win a race on yardstick, despite being first or second home in every race.

B/I did not win the regatta

C/I sailed the whole five races of the day with the same crew, unlike others, even though his hands were raw meat by the end.

I will accept a personal yardstick penalty if it makes people feel better. It won't change the reasons why I go sailing.As I've said before "yardstick schmardstick"!!!

[This message has been edited by mal gray (edited 12 May 2002).]

Originally posted by HooD:

Well i was looking through the Texel rating this morning, and the rating for the rc27 is 81 to give you an idea, they rate the new big rig Tornado off 91. anything that can blow one of those baby's away has to be amazingly fast.

The other thing I noticed, they rated the nacra 5.8 faster that a taipan 5.7, that just didnt seem right to me.

I rest my case re yardsticks - they are a waste of time and only reflect the type of sailors/type of course being sailed at that time. The Texcel is a marathon so maybe the 5.8 is faster than the taipan 5.7 but in triangular courses I personally think the taipan sailed with exactly the same skilled skipper is a faster boat... in some conditions... Stuff yardsticks ... Oh! that's what the F18 does... This must be good for sailing.

Archived