Maricat 4.3 Sails

Guest Birdy

Guest Birdy

I am thinking about getting a new 4.3 Maricat sail made.Most of the sailmakers use a Yarn Temper Dacron material is this the material that the Mari sailers,sailing at the recent Nationals and State titles used.

Ive also contacted a sailmaker that uses a material called 4.5 ounce Heawood dacron anyone heard of that.

the current champs use adams sails.

he uses a "dacron" as the class rules dictates.

I have had made a Barracouta sail from neil at taren point made with a nice white dacron to a Chris Cairns design that I believe he used when in the class.

It has had to be modified to suit my heavy weight but i will be ordering an adams sail soon so that i cansee if I can catch up or close the gap down from the 1 1/2 mins that I come in behind wayne on prima facie. during our club races at Kurnell.

Kevin Flower is also making a good sail but does not seem to be on the pace with the cat rigs yet.

Others with the old retro coloured sails were doing well at the states where we started with 12 boats down to 11 on the second day but they were lighter than me and it was drifting conditions, that is why young Lachlan on cygnet did so well with his sloop rig mainsail also an Adams sail.

Depends on your weight if you want a stiff cloth and the conditions you sail in tooo!!

cat or sloop matters too, and the amount of rake you carry, to many variables.

Best to look at what the good boats in you club are wearing or come on down to Kurnell in the new season and see what we are doing there?

cheers dave

[This message has been edited by shy thunder (edited 28 April 2004).]

You are all missing the point! How much cooler would it be if everyone had coloured sails like I did at the states? I had the most photos taken of my boat 'cause it look the best smile.gif

I think the class should change the rules back to the coloured sails only.

Guest Birdy

Thanks fellow Mari sailers,I have contacted Chris Cairns and he is going to make one up for me.

Theres a fellow Mari sailer down here in Tassie who has one of your old sails Bern, that is made by Chris and he outsails everyone by a counrty mile.

Dont worry retro sailers Im still keeping the muti coloured sail.

You have to make sure that you contact the association to ensure the sails you get made are class legal.

Kevin Flower is making great sails now and working at Javilin Marine and can be contacted on 9361 4341.

I have a new set of his sails but have not used them in more the 2 knots as that is all it blew at the states.

Most people in the park thought they were very good looking sails and Kevin is more than happy to follow up with his work.

He took the time at Easter to come and look at what was happening in the class and also to see how the sails were going, but unfortunately there was zero wind.

Bern's old Cairns sail is a beauty. If only the skipper was as good. I don't use it often - saving it for the Maricat worlds!

Sails just aren't made like they used to be. My 23 year old Flower and Adams mainsail let me down recently; see http://lyc.catsailor.org/photos/S1H4/

Images 1,2 and 15 tell the story. Bern has encouraged me to get it repaired. A bit tight with the money you might ask? Hell the car I drive is 32 years old and I don't even own it.

Maricats are on the way back in Hobart, and there will be no discrimination on sail colour.

Archived