stereo types

Guest j.c

why do all hobie sailors have such a rep with other catamaran classes. are they all arrogant pig's or just a few bad eggss. what have they done to get this feeling. maybe the tiger will lift there profile!

Guest Scott Sandilands

That is a big call! I use to sail a NACRA now I sail a Tiger and have alot off freinds that sail Hobie 16 & 18.They are all good people who enjoy the same thing as us all that is Sailing and haveing a good time!!

Originally posted by j.c:

why do all hobie sailors have such a rep with other catamaran classes. are they all arrogant pig's or just a few bad eggss. what have they done to get this feeling. maybe the tiger will lift there profile!

Now come on guys, you all know that Hobie sailors generally like to be seen as a bunch of renegades and there most certainly is an undercurrent of feeling that they are a pretty outrageous lot.

The other thing is that jc has not said he thinks hobie sailors are arrogant but that there is a perception that they are. A big difference.

Of course you could all find out where he lives and go round and rip his bloody arms off but then that might not be a positive step toward proving his precepts to be wrong.

Bern. biggrin.gif

P.S. I still think you're all being set up.

yes berny i didnt want to call a uprift with these comments thats just the perception in which i have heard. but it does kinda prove a point that they cant read. but anywayz i just wanted to see what people thought and boy did it get a reaction. but hey did the hobie sailors do anything to disprove or approve this point. Mal Gray sounds like a good 'embassador' for the hobie class and at least he has some common sense with his reply and didnt jump the gun ! thank you for the comment of christ! making threats like that greg may get u into more trouble then its worth it is not wise to make comments like that although you may feel like if someone may make direct comments like the ones i asked in retorical question. many point to ponder

I think the Hobie sailor "stereotype" went out the window many many years ago.

It came more from people who thought that they were not real sailors as they had a mass production boat.

Anyway, I have not met anything but nice Hobie sailors.

I do remember a sticker that was out in the early 80's.

"I'd rather sail the box a Nacra came in then sail a Hobie"

[This message has been edited by Emmessee (edited 09 June 2004).]

Guest Miss piggy

JC what made you think Hobie sailors are arrogant pigs ? strong wording

What ever class you sail if at all a boat, hobie sailors do not go around critising other classes or the people in them.

DO YOU?

As for not being able to read you may need to check your spelling hay.

Comminents made bye Jc and emmessee and some of the others do not help the sport if anything if others outside the sport saw some of the coments made bye all of you why would you want to sail.

J.C i read your first question and do understand what you have said but your wording is not verry good may be you should expand on the experiances you have had with the sailors.

As for lifting the profile of the tiger yep thats good because that means we will have more boats on the water wont we.

Verry intresting Miss Piggy

It seems to me that most Aussie cat sailors get on pretty well together. I think that the F18 has done much to break down the barriers and I hope they continue to fall. Lets face it, we are all better off to build the catamaran community than to see the discipline of catsailing self destruct through its own petty intolerance.

J.C. don't mistake contentment for arrogance. Hobie sailors sometimes appear to be in a world of their own and stick to themselves but thats just because there usually are a fair few of them and they are in a pretty big organisation which looks after its members.

Don't mistake confidence for arrogance. Some of them regularly race at international level and are very skilful.

Don't mistake quietness for arrogance. The ones who blow their own horn the loudest are usually not even respected by their own kind.

I know most Aussie Hobie sailors and there are not many arrogant ones amongst them.

J.C, your joke just isn't that funny, I can read better than you can write

and we know who you are!

[This message has been edited by mal gray (edited 08 June 2004).]

And MIss Piggy, I never had a go at the Hobie guys as I have been one. Re-read what I wrote please.

I get on with any sailor whether a centreboarder, sailboarder, yachtie or whatever.

If you have looked through all of this board, I have only been doing my best to promote catamaran sailing and trying to get it up and running in new areas, so don't jump on this message board and take a swipe at me with one of your first postings.

Thank you

Guest miss piggy

sorry emmmesse i did read your message wrong

wont happen again.

ok enough said i think that JC has upset the pie enough lets move on to better topics.

ps i use many nick names so this is not my first message of this forum.

miss piggy

long live the pig

Right on Matt.

Yeah, how about all you 'anons' registering. You're all critical of j.c. but many of you haven't taken the time to get fully involved here and most are using nicks to stay incognito. cool.gif What's the problem with letting us all know who you are?

Bern

Well I didn't think that people had to change their nick names in here.

I have been Emmessee from the outset and that is my initials (MSC).

Most people on here know who I am and there is nothing wrong with that at all. I still speak my mind.

I also think that if you want to make a worthwhile contribution, register.

You don't have to tell us your name, use a nickname, but please don't change them, as this is a little community in here trying to do the best for catamaran sailing.

There is the point here that "if the cap fits wear it" BUT if it doesn't, just ignore it and it will just wither and die.

It reminds me of the (I feel mainly false) attitude that a lot of cat sailors have towards mono hull sailors (especially at a lot of sailing clubs) that the mono hull guys "dislike and ridicule all cat sailors", when it has always been my experience that if a cat sailor talks to the mono guys, everyone finds out that there are more "common grounds" between them, than there are differences, and that "they (mono) seem to be just the same as us", strange that wouldn't you say?

JC didn't say any thing about Hobie sailors! he just asked the question!!!!

Darryl

Archived