Sydney Harbour Cat Sailing

Emmessee

As many of you are aware, Balmoral Sailing Club are considering whether or not to let catamarans sail there.

It would be a first in NSW to have a centreboard club allow catamarans into the fold.

Next month I am to meet with them about this proposition that I put to them, and I need a guide of how many sailors are interested in sailing there, and if there is more interest in having a once a year regatta and also any classes holding a State or National Titles there.

If you know any class representitives, could you please pass the information on and let's get their support, as the club will not do this just for me, it will need class backing.

I think that there will only be one opportunity for us to get this through, so your support would be greatful.

Macca and Bern have already sail they would help, but I need some class representitives to also put their hands up.

I am not asking them to come to the meeting, just a letter to say that the Maricat Association is interested, or the Windrush association is keen.

It is not much to ask from the associations for a letter of support, and then we have another club to sail catamarans from in Sydney.

Thanks

Matt

Originally posted by Emmessee:

It would be a first in NSW to have a centreboard club allow catamarans into the fold.

Matt

Uh uh! Concord is essentially a c/board club smile.gif

Bern

Oops, so are Tuggerah, Wangie, Tookley, Yarra Bay, Port Kembla...................

[This message has been edited by berny (edited 09 June 2004).]

I'm not quite sure just what the set up is with the clubs in NSW, but I have always been able to sail a cat at any club at which I have become a member of (thats in 3 different states over the years) and I have never been knocked back on my application to become a member. That membership at a club has always entitled me to sail at "my club" and at an "off the beach" regatta at any other club in that state, whether or not that club had any cat sailors as members. Is there a problem sailing at different clubs in NSW that doesn't exist in other states, or is it that the majority of cat sailors there are not members of sailing clubs?? In years past I have sailed a cat in regattas at "mono hull" exclusive membership clubs in NSW as a guest without any problems. Could you please explain the problem associated with it for me, I am a little confused.

Darryl J Barrett

It is not all clubs, but there are a few clubs in NSW that are exclusively centreboard clubs and as that is the tradition, they do not have catamaran events. You can sail at the club and you can join, but they don't hold races for catamaran classes.

Balmoral is one of these clubs that is exclusively for centreboard boats and then they often restrict it to certain classes.

But, they are now looking at running some races for the cat's as I have been pushing for it for a while.

I now just need some association support to get it to happen.

There is animosity at CRSC. It runs below the surface but you can feel the agro particularly if there's a conflict on the water.

Recently our club captain made a goose of himself by challenging one of our guys and later had to apologise because the bloke hadn't done anything contrary to the rules.

Because the cats are significantly faster while not being all that sophisticated (Mari 14 v. NS14 for example) and most Maricats cost about 15% of what you'd pay for an NS., I think it all gets up their noses a bit. I mean you've just paid $12,000 for the latest super trick NS and an $800 cat kicks your ^r$e X 2.

I have to admit though that since membership has fallen off some, they seem to be a bit happier that we are around, to make up the $$$$$ if nothing else.

There's a club on the southern shore of Lake Macquarie, I forget the name for the moment, that told me that "cats are not welcome here". They sail mostly 125's and I think they wanted a 14ft cat amongst their fleet like they wanted varicose vanes. :0

Bern

[This message has been edited by berny (edited 11 June 2004).]

it not just some mono clubs that that won't allow other boats. KCC is a cat club only and do not allow mono's to sail there. so it goes both ways. i have sailed as many boats as i can from a laser/mari 14 through to a 35ft cat/ 55ft mono enjoy them all. we have a fairly busy sailing season up here in the central west so i would not be able to sail at balmoral on a weekly basis. i have sailed down in that area on a couple of accasions in a laser and 5.8 and it is a good spot. i would be interested in a regatta there. would proberly bring down big cats (5.8's & stingrays) and maybe a 19ft mono and a mari 14. will it be a mixed regatta or just a cat regatta?

Guest Michael

It's great to see sailing is in such good shape in NSW that the clubs dictate what boats they will allow into their clubs!

Sure encourage people into whatever class your club would like to build however I can't see why any club would say you **can't** sail a particular boat here unless it odviously won't work (eg a 60' keelboat trying to sail from a beachcat/dinghy club)

Michael

The CYCA is a special case, unless you own something at least 60' you are not even considered worth talking to. There is certainly an issue with clubs not accepting cats, but as mentioned above somewhere, cat clubs are also perpetuating the situation.

It doesn't matter what size cat you have you wont get a look in at CYCA. Of course a cat going to Hobart is going to make a serious mockery of the whole CYCA S2H show so it's no wonder they don't want us there. On the contrary, even though there are clubs which specifically cater for multihulls, I don't think there's one club which wont allow you to sail a mono there if you want to. Not that I can see any mono sailor wanting to get his arse kicked with regular monotony except maybe a 25ftr amongst a fleet of 14's.

In any event it's pretty useless worrying about it any more, except that to make sure cats are promoted to the best of our ability as a legitimate sailboat which are at worst as good as, but mostly always way better than an equivalent mono.

I rest my case smile.gif

Bern

i'm a 20yo cat sailor from brissie and i think to have cats sailing on the harbour would be like the pinicle of the sport. To be sail one probably the most famous piece of water in australia and the exposure that it could bring towards cat sailing would be enormous. I think the push for cat sailing in the harbour is well worth the while. If they were a major regatta down there each year at a convinient time you could count me in to drive down just to sail on the harbour and with the interest for just that i think many queenslanders and victorians would travel and it could become as big as event as foster if not bigger.

Lets stop the argueing over who what can sail at clubs it just brings an ugly side to sail which at the moment with a decline in numbers we dont need. Not only do we need exposure like the harbour be we must get younger people into sailing. I think the future is exposure but more importantly you need the young people to take up cat sailing otherwise with no one holding things down for the future ther exposure for people who might be intrested wont be there. But hey i am full keen for sailing on the harbour. Where is the balmoral sailing club i might check it out i'm heading down for origin in 2 weeks.

Balmoral Sailing Club is located at the southern end of Balmoral Beach in Mosman.

I will be visiting their commodore next month to have a chat about catamarans sailing there as they are in principal keen for it. It does mean changing their constitution.

It would be an awesome place to hold the third round smile.gif of the 2004/2005 14ft regatta series. Race Saturday with the mono's to show them what a big fleet of cats looks like (maybe on a separate course) and invite them to join in the fun on Sunday. A non championship round w/end sometime in April maybe? Just a thought.

The question of whether to provide a separate course for the cats, raised on another post, will depend on how many rescue boats they have, how many cats they can expect and what size boats they might be. For those who don't know, at CRSC we sail the same course but to separate buoys/marks set aprox. 10/20m beyond the mono marks. It's a bit of a pain for the half boats because, as we have further to sail to each mark, we are continually overtaking the them, (after allowing them to get back in front again at every mark).

Bern

I would be suggesting to the club that we sail the same course as the Sharpies. They are about the same speed as most 14'cats, and the guys that sail from Balmoral are the top of the crop.

We have to go in there and make it as easy as possible for them to accept us, and if they don't need more rescue boats and they don't have to lay a seperate course, then there is really nothing else for them to do but start us and take our fees.

yes we used to have sharpie in our club and he is very quick. i have only ever sailed against him in my 5.8 and have never beat him on vyc handicap. when it was light shity wind i had trouble beating him accross the line some days. i think you would want 15 knots or better to have a go at them in a mari.

I don't think KCC would turn any mono away from racing if they approached us.

Some KCC members have currently joined Sutherland Shire Sailing Club next door with an aim to possibly merge both clubs. Many of us at KCC have talked about the advantages of monos their and would like to see SSSC re-establish itself as an active club.

Stephen Medwell

AITA President

Team Tornado ALIVE

www.tornadoalive.com

Archived