Cobra 16 vs Hydra 16

usedcat

I've located a couple of second hand catamarans which i'm considering buying but don't know which is a better buy. 1 is a hydra 16 which has had a considerable ammount of money spent upgrading (new tramp, rudders and boxes, centreboards, beach roller, all new wires and block, race boom plus high tech block) which is $1850, plus a small ammount in freighting. The other is closer to me, a prindle 16 in good condition, for $1800 (ono, might be able to get a bit less). Both come with registered trailers. Does anyone know enough about these two designs to advise me on this? I've sailed a fair selection of 14ft craft and am looking for something a bit bigger for recreational sailing, and maybe club sailing. Thanks for your time. Jamie

I would suggest that for recreational sailing the Prindle would be the more robust of the two and has a simpler set up with no centreboards and with basic rigging.

The Hydra was a great boat in its day and had great racing. It was really designed as a trainer for the Tornado class. It would probably have the best "feel" when sailing, as it was a true racing design.

Neither really has fleet racing these days that I am aware of (although please correct me if I am wrong here) so I would imagine you would only be able to sail mixed fleet racing with either boat.

OK, a bit of a 'fence sit', but it really depends on how likely you are to race and how much abuse the boat is likely to cop. I don;t think you would be too disappointed with either.

Dave.

jamie

ive just brought a hydra to sail with my daughter the reason it was cheap had swing centreboards and the doesnt dance like the newer cats (more stable) seems to go really good we didnt have the jib up but still keeping up the cats that i sail around with on my nacra 14 and most of the thing is fibre glass same as prindle hope this may help richard

Six of one and a half a dozen of the other! They are (were) both reliable, hardy boats when new with each of them having a good turn of speed, stability and a similar performance around a race course. Both did well in mixed racing so I would say that your choice should be for the one that is in the best condition for it's price.

• 2 weeks later...

Both of the boats you mentioned seem expensive for boats no longer in production and hard to find second hand parts for. They would need to be complete with sail box, beach rollers, and in extremely good cond to warrant that price. My advice is to check out your nearest cat fleet. Don't buy any boat without having a sail on it or one of the same type to make sure it suits. Good older Hobie 16's start around $1500, plenty of second hand parts, and sound advice. Take your time, buy the right boat, and you will enjoy your sailing.

• 3 months later...

I am 120 kg and sail the hydra 1 up with jib i have had great fun on the hydra and it is very forgiviving burried the hull several times flick the main and continue sailing and i can rig it by myself. have since bought a inter17 and gave my hydra with new sails to firdt time sailors to get in to the sport Great boat

• 4 months later...

What choice did you make? I would pick the Hydra without all of the new gear but with it there is no contest. The Hydra is a very stable, forgiving boat with plenty fo room for creating a good skill level. The Prindle is an old sea plow like the Hobie.

A freind who has owned both said he preferred the Hobie because it was more exciting. I read that as unstable and unpredictable.

I keep a Hydra for freinds who come up and there are a couple here to race with. I sail it often by myself and am only 85kg. Very strong and reliable but heavy.

Originally posted by usedcat:

I've located a couple of second hand catamarans which i'm considering buying but don't know which is a better buy. 1 is a hydra 16 which has had a considerable ammount of money spent upgrading (new tramp, rudders and boxes, centreboards, beach roller, all new wires and block, race boom plus high tech block) which is $1850, plus a small ammount in freighting. The other is closer to me, a prindle 16 in good condition, for $1800 (ono, might be able to get a bit less). Both come with registered trailers. Does anyone know enough about these two designs to advise me on this? I've sailed a fair selection of 14ft craft and am looking for something a bit bigger for recreational sailing, and maybe club sailing. Thanks for your time. Jamie

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi there, i purchased a hydra cat, have previously been sailing a laser primarily. In the current rebuilding process, and was wondering how well mannered the hydra is as compared to say a taipan 4.9 ? and should i go for a new carbon mast with a big head taipan sail? I will be sailing this by myself the majority of the time.

Just to clarify this will be a racing boat, will hopefully be sailed down on Port Phillip Bay, anyone else with a hydra who races would be great to hear from you :D

Cheers Alex

Race it if you want, but leave the carbon stick and Taipan sail in the shop. Together they are worth more than the boat is worth. As to the manner of the respective cats, the Hydra is very stable and almost docile in comparison to a Taipan which is a heck of a lot lightter and therefore more nimble and sprightly. The early Hydras were terribly overweight and it was only towards the end of their production run that they became a lot lighter, I think most of the weight loss happened after about boat number 850 or thereaboubts. Meantime, enjoy the boat for what it is not for for what you would like it to be. Oh, lastly I seem to remember that my Hydra was a very wet boat and I wore swimming goggles to avoid the salt stinging my eyes.

Thanks for that, i really appreciate the time you took for the advice. I didnt pay very much for the boat, and its still needing work done to it, would i be better off just stripping all the gear off it and getting another cat? and if so which sort of cat.

had a bit of a look at a taipan 4.9, mosquito or maybe even an older A class.

im 85kg so not sure which would suit me the best.

thanks again

alex

Hey Alex,

i think you would be best geting a mast section that the cobra/mozzies use - almost the same as the hydra mast section.

but if you want to sail in Port Phillip...

We have a fleet of cobra's down at Parkdale YC.

You are more than welcome to come sail your hydra or if you want you can take out one of the Cobra Association boats - see www.cobracat.com for more info.

We start sailing in October - only a couple of weeks away now!

Thanks a lot for the offer, i will certainly take you up on that offer, sadly the hydra at the moment is in many pieces, i'm completely respraying both hulls, re-doing the dagger type boards and the rudders. The trailer is getting a complete revamp with new hubs wheels and lights. Now i have been looking at the cobra cats they seem to be more of a double boat rather than a single??? But then i might be completely misinformed... any info would be very appreciated. :D

And to clarify why i was tossing up the idea of a carbon mast was to try and save weight in the top end of the boat, which i hope would aid with righting the boat when its gone turtle.

Thanks for all your help :D

Alex

Once you have turtled a carbon mast will be no easier to get back up facing the sky than an alloy mast. If you are quick you should not turtle when you go over. The smaller 14's do as they have little masts and sails, but a Hydra should be ok. You will have a ball on it, but don't spend thousands of dollars to make it into a new boat as there are not many out there.

BUT, if it is your pride and joy, go for your life. I am with a Nacra 4.5.

Matt

Thank you very much Matt, very encouraging words!!! well what im doing to the boat is a complete respray of the hulls, removal of all crazing. The dagger boards and rudders have been repaired and are going to be resprayed. The tramp is getting a few minor repairs done to it. I'm also going to going to do a bit of work to the trailer, although roadworthy there are some parts that i don't really like about it. I have two mains and two jibs, all the deck gear is in really good nick, so hopefully with a touch of TLC will be a great boat :D.

Gday sorry to take over the forum, just posting another update, i found out the sail number is 927 had a bit of a rummage around the sail bag. As the cat is apart i will weigh each hull and see what it comes too.

Thanks for the invite Nixon Jr i will certainly take you up on the offer and will come down one sat to see the cobras. I'm hoping that the Hydra will be fully complete by the start of November, provided nothing goes completely turtle. :D

cheerio

alex

• 1 month later...

Hydra 16 setup

Hello,

I have owned a Hydra 16 for over a year and while I am by no means an expert on the matter it does seem a quite well behaved boat and I have no trouble sailing it. You can find quite a few pictures here:

http://picasaweb.google.com.au/mrblenny

As for setup I don't really see any problems, it has downhaul and some vang thing but give yourself an hour or two on your first setup and it will all fall into place. With someone helping me I normally have it ready to push into the water after about 30 minutes. And I find it much easier to take the mast down by simply lifting the boat on it's side and then disconnecting everything.

I second the sentiment about money, just spend the bare essentials to get it going. No matter what you do it will still be an old boat and doubling or tripling it's value with new masts and sails will not increase the enjoyment (or it's resell value).

I find it great to sail as is, even with dodgy sails I can beat most 16 ft cats on the water (bigger sail area helps) and it can even carry 3 adults without too much trouble. It is heavy though and even on beach rollers is a pain pushing back to car.

It sounds like a good way of doing it actually, thanks for the hint. My hydra project is going quite well, should have all the foils ready for glassing this weekend. I think would be still be good fun to play round with a modern constructed hydra, make it fit into the current F16 class and see how it goes.

The taipan has a high aspect ratio sail as compared to the mosquito that has a low aspect sail, is this a major factor in the boats overall speed and efficiency???

FOUND IT:

This is a topic covered often in many forums and one that will never go away. With some practice and knowledge you can raise a 5.8 or bigger mast solo, and it is hard to explain here but easy to show, but I will try.

I set up the boat on the grass or beach with the bow heading down a slight hill or down the beach. The rollers are then place right at the rear of the boat. As far back as possible.

The mast is layed along the boat with it balancing on both beams with the foot near the bows.

The side stays are attached along with the trap wires, but this is not a must, they can stay wrapped around the stays if this is how you pack up.

I then have a rope attached to the forestay and running through a shackle or ring on the bridal then layed back to the rear beam.

Next step is to move the mast base onto the ball. This needs practice to do alone, but can me managed. It is easier if you have your trailer nearby, or something to hold the top end of the mast. I use my trailer mast holder as I can, but I have used fences, trees and even a beach umbrella. Your car roof racks are great too.

The mast is now ready to be lifted and I start lifting where it is comfortable. That varies on how many beers I may have had the night before and how much strength I think I have.

I then walk to the stern of the boat with the mast at shoulder height. Once at the stern I rest it on my shoulder grab the rope that is attached to the forestay, as I am going to keep this reasonably tight as I walk the mast up the rest of the way.

The rollers now come into play. I use the axle as my first step up onto the boat. It is much easier that trying to lift the mast and take the big step onto the rear beam.

The mast is still at shoulder height and mainly I use my shoulder until I get onto the rear beam or tramp.

Once I am up there, I grab the mast with two hands and walk it up, with the forestay rope being transfered between hands as I keep walking it up.

Once I have it upright, I have the forestay almost in position due to the rope and if I keep this tight, the mast will stay up and I can jump off the front beam and shackle the forestay in place.

It is a rather quick process and takes a few practice sessions with some mates around in case you get into trouble, but it is worth it in the long run.

You can run the rope through any block with a cleat on the boat as well if you have one (jib block) and it will hold in position at any stage.

I can do it with most masts if set up right.

Archived