I want a HObie 16 or similar

Hi pete,

Kerli has a cracker at the moment!!!

Sydney is far, but it looks a great boat

http://www.sailingscene.com.au/usedboats.html

1995 HOBIE 16.............................$5890

-Sail number 103213 with 2 jibs

-Mackay multi-link trailer ( 6 months rego )

-Beach wheels

-Sailbox fitted to trailer

-New rope fitout

-2 brand new hobietrapeze harness

-3 life jackets

Have a look mate,

Chock

Thanks for that, I should have said that I wanted to spend about 5k tops including transport...can you think of others? I appreciate your help.

Originally posted by cruiser:

Hi pete,

Kerli has a cracker at the moment!!!

Sydney is far, but it looks a great boat

http://www.sailingscene.com.au/usedboats.html

1995 HOBIE 16.............................$5890

-Sail number 103213 with 2 jibs

-Mackay multi-link trailer ( 6 months rego )

-Beach wheels

-Sailbox fitted to trailer

-New rope fitout

-2 brand new hobietrapeze harness

-3 life jackets

Have a look mate,

Chock

Originally posted by northqldpete:

I want a hobie 16 with trailer, beach wheels, furling jib that is not too old and does not leak. i am north of Cairns but am prepared to travel. I do not expect to get a boat for nothing. Can you help me?

The Hobie 16 is a common cat , possibly because it was so cheap to buy new. I have a Calypso 16 catamaran for sale. It is made without any foam core in the hulls, so the decks don't go soft with age. It has less rocker than a H16 and it is less likely to pitchpole. The beams are bolted directly to the hulls so it doesn't have the twisting problems associated with using a jointed trampoline frame. The mast is strong, but lighter, so it is easier to raise and lower it. The hulls have more volume, so you can carry more people if necessary. There is about 50 litres of storage space in the hulls, so there is a place to put hats, sun sun cream , water, keys, mobile phone, spray jackets, camera. The rudder gudgeons are not bolted to aluminium plates inside the sterns which can oxidize and expand when exposed to salt water, pushing the transoms off the sterns. The mast has a mast float at the tip, reducing likelihood of an inversion after a capsize. The aluminium rudder boxes don't corrode onto the rudder pin, and become unremovable. My boat has rollers, furler, fibreglass sailbox, gal trailer , twin trapeze, and it's $5000. Maroochydore phone 0754796111.

Well Norman, you have given me something to think about. The boat sounds like it is just what I am looking for. It must be a nice boat for 5k. Nice hulls, sails and trailer. Any chance of a pic? Also, I once was offered a 1/2 way meet...like in Mackay. Would you be prepared to drive it to Mackay or so if I bought it? mackay is 8 hours from me. How many from you? (about the same I thought). People tell me that there is a problem with some calipso and the rivets pulling out (I must admit that I have only seen one at lake Tinaroo).

Let me know your thoughts....

thanks for that, loads of times I am surrounded by unhelpful teenagers so I need to be able to step the mast by myself. I use the boat for sailing on a lake where we camp for days at a time. We go on little outings however I like the idea of storage on the boat itself and a trapeeze is something I have never done and would really like to have a go at. My adult crew weighs in at about 170k and at times I have 4 kids on board and me. We tow a rope behind the boat and pull people through the water. Loads of family fun.....that what I am looking for I have a 14' hobie at the mo with an additional jib and looking for more floatation and a bit of speed. I appreciate your response so far

$5k would need to be as new, second hand prices Sydney area. H16 $1.5-$5k, H18 $2-4k, 5.8 Nacra $2.5 up, Hydra 16 $1-2k(no longer in production, some parts available from cat factory). do not buy a boat with poor parts availability. Boats with large race fleets have cheap 2nd hand parts (Sails particularly).

Archived