Cartwheeling (nose diving)

benny

Ok, firstly my Maricat rocks

one fine windy day i managed to nose dine my mari at a good speed, i beleve it is becasue i had the weight of myself and friend (big) to far forward, is this common? As we both managed to smack our heads on the boom mast etc.

Without a harness how far can you lean her before she will capsize.

ta guys sailing rocks

benny

Where do you sail Benny? Really mate we could talk for hours here about how to sail a Mari well but if you could visit a club some day you'd be amazed at how quickly you would learn to do it. It's far better to talk to guys in person and if you're really keen, there is no better teacher than racing.

Bern

FUN WAS IT?

Ok with big crew (wife?) sit back towards back of boat (if wife cuddle close, if girlfriend get her on your lap) and go for it.

Or to help prevent another occurence you will have to rake your mast back to move centre of effort back this helps stop the nosediving... see earlier post on how to make the maricat ready for racing also good for social sailing tooo!

keep up the fun and enjoy....

How far can you lean?

88.6 degrees after that i fall over...

too much vb or jd effects performance too.

not an efficient way to sail the boat but looks good to landlubbers..

have fun riding the rail...

another one for quiet winds is to hang ten and steer the boat ????

or ride the rail from the leeward side...

takes a lot of .........?

Guest Tug Boat

Well done fellas. Its a champion effort to cartwheel a maricat in any breeze. Maybe you need an asso to help pull the bows out, just ask Macca!

I have never sailed a boat that is as easy to cartwheel as the bloody maricat! it is like they forgot to put bouyancy in the bows, Sailing a maricat downwind in 20kts is worse than sailing a T downhill in 30kts, I am hanging to see what the Kite will do for the mari downwind, I figure it cant get any worse smile.gif

If you think the Mari is crook, you guys have obviously never sailed a H14. They are THE most ridiculous boat ever made and get this, not only do they nose dive while moving forward under sail much more easily than the Maricat, but if you happen to sit a little to the rear while standing to head to wind, they also fall over backwards. An insane boat.

Bern

nose diving gets very intersting when on trapeze, tight reaching and flying a hull on a nor easter at Tuross. Managed to complete this very painful act a number of times. It is even more exciting when the leeward bow digs in real deep the arse rises up to near vertical and you get launched out into space until you get to the end of the trapise wire, oooch.

The cause of the nose dive is generally the result of the jib being pulled to tight, leaving it loose is not an option because they tend to flap the leach to pieces so finding the sweet spot takes a bit of guess work. Putting a spinniker up front may well increase the nose diving as the spinniker will add to the forces on the leeward hull. Unfortunately Maricats do not have long bows with plenty of lenght in front of the beams to prevent the nose dive.

wow, i only just checked this board.

thanks heaps for all of the replys i am glad that i should feel a sense of acheivment for my carwheeling efforts.

I sail in canberra, we have some good lakes for it, the wind can often be quite challenging (or gusty.)

So if we keep the weight toward the rear when on the jib that should help, sounds good.

Cheers to all

benny and jenny the maricat

wow, i only just checked this board.

thanks heaps for all of the replys i am glad that i should feel a sense of acheivment for my carwheeling efforts.

I sail in canberra, we have some good lakes for it, the wind can often be quite challenging (or gusty.)

So if we keep the weight toward the rear when on the jib that should help, sounds good.

Cheers to all

benny and jenny the maricat

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Walrus

I found that when my maricat had an upright mast it nosedived pretty much anytime the wind was above 15 knots. I haven't plunged yet since it's been raked.

The best cartwheel I did though was with a windy, head over heels in the NSW youth regatta.

On trap, had bruises from the stays and mast for weeks.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest skypy12

yeah i used to sail in canberra awhile back with the YMCA. i remember one day in about 35kts of wind gusting to about 40kts (was fckin windy) tha maricat i was on cartwheeled after flyin a hull for a good few hundred meters. would have to say it wsa the best day i'd ever been on a boat. main memory of sailing thats finally encouraged me to get back into the sport. Hobie cats are a bit better for bow boyancy correct?

Originally posted by berny:

If you think the Mari is crook, you guys have obviously never sailed a H14. They are THE most ridiculous boat ever made and get this, not only do they nose dive while moving forward under sail much more easily than the Maricat, but if you happen to sit a little to the rear while standing to head to wind, they also fall over backwards. An insane boat.

Bern

A H14 is a Hobie 14. frown.gif

Bern

I can confirm the claims about the Hobi14. I had one for years, and it was scary. Blowing over backwards while tacking, and nose-diving on a broadreach and tailwind was a constant threat. I now have a Windrush and I've only dived it once (somebody told me to tighten my jib) downwind. I measured the hulls of both boats and reckon the Windie has 40% more hull volume than the Hobie. I was never game to fly the hobie hull, but now I do it all the time on the 'Rush.

Danny

• 3 months later...
Guest knite_mc

nose diving while your crew is out on trap is one of the funiest things u'll ever see. the boat stops and they just keep on flying through the air. classic.

have an older maricat 4.3 and before I learnt to rake mast back it was quite nerve wrecking in anything over 15 knots. Although I never flipped it over in a nose dive it would dive in at about 30 degrees and bury the hulls and coming to a quick (and wet) stop followed by a quick trip backwards. I am told by onlookers that up to the boom dissappears.

Yeah, top stuff.

I am no lightweight and plant my ass over the rear beam so I can let the old girl go pretty deep at high speed. I have definitely had past the front beam well and truly under water up to the side stays, and she usually runs out of steam by then and just stops dead, reverses out and then I am off again.

For added excitement, cleat the main and hold onto the rear beam. Wait till it is blowing 20 knots, but you will hold the boat from going over most times.

• 6 months later...

So, at the weekend i was sailing cat rigged only (normally have the jib out) with around 180kgs on board - two of us. I saved it from flipping- with the nose diving a few times by steering out it upwind, letting it slow then bringing back downwind (?)unril it was too much, buried the nose and went for a flying lesson. What could i do - short of raking? Would having the job flying helped to give lift to the nose?

Questions, Questions?

Cat

Archived