Generic sails

johno

You may wish to ask Graham Heap for a copy of the official measurements of the maricat sail, they are quite detailed. So long as they are to measurement and of appropriate material I would be suprised if anyone objected. Well, if it looks like all the other sails then I doubt it would get measured unless you win by too far smile.gif

cheers !

Hey Guys maybe we should consider having classes of boats like the p'tigers do....

"A" class boats and sails that are measured and weighed as acceptable to class rules

and others

class "B" boats that have discrepancies (like Darcy's over roached mainsail for eg)

not eligble for placings but secondary prizes?

A can of worms I know, but if not looked at soon may prevent the class from growing stronger, if we don't all play on a level playing field..........

how's that for cliches...?

cheers dave

Actually the rules state that sails can only be made by Assn. recognised sailmakers who have a list of sail numbers allocated to them by the Assn.

Whether or not the assn. enforces this rule I don't know but I'm sure if you did well someone would protest you on legal grounds.

Bern

wonder if you could ask the association to accept you as sailmaker? would save the worry of being protested. If your sails are good and your price is ok, and they are legal in measurement... maybe it would help some people out that would like newer sails for their boat?

The class rules are very clear on this point and should have been taken into consideration when the decision was made to 'go home made'.

If the sails where to be used at titles it would be upto the class measurer to make a decision, advise the competitor of the defect and then allow sufficent time to correct prior to commencement of racing. The process of seeking duress under the rules of sailing may then need to be followed by either the competitor or the other sailors.

The Maricat is a one class design, has been for over 25 years.

The association does not own the sail plans however it is able to control who makes sails when they are used for sailing at title events thus there is a list of approved sail makers. To change the rule requires the motion including the suggest rule amendment to be placed before the Annual General Meeting, debated by all members present and then if approved make effective from the start of the next season.

I think you need to get a grip on the reality.

The last national titles was contested by 13 boats, 5 in the cat rigged division and 8 sloop.

While you cant go willey nilley breaking the rules, every maricat sailor should be encouraged to participate regardless of what badge is on the sail.

at the end of the day does it really matter who made the sail as long as it measures?

I think it can only be good for the class to allow other sailmakers to build sails. It has been proven many times that the only people who gain from a closed market are the manufacturers, there is no Maricat builder active at the moment so why not let others enter the market?

I would personally be very disappointed if any maricat was excluded from an event because the sails were home made. If the sails measure in and the competitor does not have some unfair advantage over the others what is the issue? I am guessing this homemade set is going to measure in ok and expect the sails are not made from exotics. No wonder there was only a few boats contesting the Nationals... boats are probably being scared off entering?

I know some of the guys were reluctant to participate because of things like the shrouds must be plastic covered. It might not seem much but it is an additional expense to go in a race.

Once again why can additional sailmakers not be just added to the list? surely that does not require a special vote at the annual general meeting. The rule is just that the sail makers should be on the list. Add this guy to the list if his sail is ok?

If the sail is legal let the guy sail,the reason why the Maricat is such a good class is because the sailing is close and its relatively cheap to get into.Not everyone can afford a $1000 new sail,especially if you are 16.

Encourage new sailers dont scare them away.

It would be agood idea to let him sail the Nationals without having to put plastic stripping on the shrouds as well.

Could not agree more with Warrior. In the past the maricat has always been known as a friendly and encouraging class. Participants should be assured prior to the events that they will be accepted and not risk a disheartening protest at the end of the series on a technicality such as no plastic coating on shrouds, just because they happened to perform well on the day.

I think we all agree that some of the old rules of not just the Maricat's, but many of the classes could do with an update.

The plastic covering of shrouds and wires should be the first rule that is thrown out as it is getting more unrealistic all the time and adds cost for no real benefit.

It was a safety issue I presume, but we can't wrap the boats in bubble wrap in case we may bump into each other and jam our fingers.

The black markings on the mast is also one that can go as some Maricat masts are all black. I know it is to stop sailors from over-streatching the luff or adding to it, but there are ways around the rule so it should go.

I will not get into all of them now, but many of the old classes should look at an update as times have changed and some of the old rules are very hard to obey as equipment is now unavailable.

Totally agree, many of the class rules have not been updated since conception. times have certainly changed.

on the subject of plastic coated shrouds, they are a double edged sword! They are very good for your sail's, and hand's/ but they can be quite dangerous as you cant see whats going on underneath the plastic.

Covering the shrouds is a waste of time and money as it really does nothing at all, except hide the defects and when left in the elements, the plastic coverings start to get sticky and filthy.

Then you may have perfectly good shrouds, but have to get new ones as the plastic has gone off. I had to last season as the old ones were so sticky they marked the sails with dirt.

RIGGING

The style of rigging may not be altered, i.e. the boat must be rigged with two (2) forestays and two (2) shrouds attached to

the normal attachment points as per specifications, except that on sloop rigged boats the two forestays may be dispensed with provided that the bridle length and the furler are as per specification. Wire diameter may be increased but not decreased. Adjusters for tensioning rigging may be added. All rigging, ie stays shrouds bridle dolphin striker wire etc, excluding the halyard, jib strop and luff wire, are to be plastic coated or covered.

Not sure if this helps because i havnt priced a ski rope latley, but a ski rope over the top of the shrouds would fit the class rules.

Just quietly i know none of the mari's racing in tassie comply with this rule and I no intension of preventing any of them from competing. sometimes you just have to let common sense prevail.

THE SAFETY FACTOR WAS AN IMPORTANT REASON DUE TO THE EASE OF NOSE DIVING PRIOR TO EVEYONE NOW RAKING THEIR MAST BACK.

AS WE ALL RUN A RAKED RIG FOR PERFORMANCE THE CHANCES OF NOSEDIVING HAS BEEN REDUCED EXCEPT IN SEVERE CONDITIONS.

AS THE BOAT WAS ORIGINALLY MARKETED AS A FUN FAMILY BOAT THE COVERED RIGGING WAS AN ADVANTAGE TO THE FAMILY PURCHASER.

SO TO MAKE IT FAIR TO ALL, THE CLASS RULES KEPT THIS IN TO ENSURE A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD TO THOSE WHO USED THE BOAT FOR RUN AND RACED ALSO.

IF YOU CONSIDER THE EXTRA WINDAGE OF THE PLASTIC COATING THOSE WITHOUT HAVE AN UNFAIR ADVANTAGE TO THOSE THAT HAVE.

AT THE NATIONALS IT MAY BE CONSIDERED AS A DISQUALIFIABLE OFFENCE TO RACE WITHOUT THE PLASTIC COVERING AS THE CLASS RULES CURRENTLY STAND.

HOPE SOME OF THESE OLDER/OUTDATED RULES CAN BE REMODELLED BEFORE NATIONALS SO THAT THERE IS ENOUGH TIME FOR ALL TO MODIFY THEIR RIGS

CHEERS DAVE

On Sweet16 I have plastic chainplate covers (although I don't use chainplates on the stays - just a shackle on each stay). Since the covers are made of plastic and they do cover some of the stays... I would be legal without the other plastic covering on the stays. Chainplate covers are quite good anyway. I got mine from the Maricat - Nacra factory.

any comments on whether these would be ok for people that want to be sure of having legal stay coverings (outdated rule that it is).

Right now I have white plastic covered stays but would rather use uncovered wires as the covered ones tend to corrode. I leave my boat rigged on the waterfront so this can be an issue.

Archived