Mast Plate sheared off !

Guest sickpig

Guest sickpig

I took the cat out on Saturday in Botany looking forward to some fun. Just at the end of the Airport Runway the plate that is pop riveted to the top of th mast where all the lines are connected sheared off !

Drifted for about 30 mins before the rescue team from the airport gave us a tow back to the boat ramp. Also noticed the plate that the tramp is attached under has buckled - oh the joys - so certainly looking for some guidance on these repairs.

Are these repairs i should attempt myself, though never done anything like this before or is at professional job. Any ideas what this is going to cost me ???

All advice kindly received

JC

It can be pop rivited (stainless steel) back on easily after being cleaned up, and it is not a hard job.

But if you are not confident, get a pro to do it for you.

I am sure there would be someone at Kurnell Catamaran Club on a Sunday that would be able to do it for you with the right tools.

It only takes a few minutes to do as well.

Make sure you use stainless rivets and coat the plate and new rivets with Duralac, you can get it from whitworths and one tube will last you about 50 years.

Other than that it is a no brainer to fix, but you will need a pretty good rivet gun to pop the stainless rivets.

Come on over to Kurnell Cat Club Sunday we can put you in contact with some people who will look after your rigging problems.

Also make sure you do not have too much corrosion in the area on the mast as it may be corroded beyond repair? requiring a sleeve inserted or the purchase of a new mast...

cheers

dave

maricatter

Archived