Super/supa? Taipan

berny

Hi Berny, yes the super Taipan is SWEET and I can testify from sailing it..... the quickest beach cat I have been on. Makes mince meat of the Tornadoes and the boat is getting more and more sorted as time goes on.

Were you at Yarra on ANZAC Day...... If so what boat were you on.

For those who missed it it was awsome racing in fairly flat water and upto 18 knots average gusting 21 knots............ SMOKEN

Here is a few photos of the Super Taipan at Port Hunter's Cock of the Harbour this month. Andrew and Greg blitzed the fleet with this awesome cat with me coming second more than half a lap behind after 4 laps on a Nacra 5.8 with spinnaker. I wonder if there is another cat out there which can beat it.

Photos taken by Alan Murphy.

20060408_MURPH_COH_1724.jpg

20060408_MURPH_COH_1752.jpg

20060408_MURPH_COH_1747.jpg

Originally posted by tornado:

Hi Berny, yes the super Taipan is SWEET and I can testify from sailing it..... the quickest beach cat I have been on. Makes mince meat of the Tornadoes and the boat is getting more and more sorted as time goes on.

Were you at Yarra on ANZAC Day...... If so what boat were you on.

For those who missed it it was awesome racing in fairly flat water and up to 18 knots average gusting 21 knots............ SMOKEN

Yep it was a great day but only a short-ish race given the effort to get there (1.1/2hrs) and rig etc. Great club to sail with. The guys who came over from Kurnell had the best of it with the sail over and back. Spooky watching them disappear into the gloom on their way home. Almost needed a GPS smile.gif

I was on the ONLY 14ftr (430) there excluding the 14sq 14ft 6". Flipped it on the jibe mark and retired hurt (pride mostly biggrin.gif)

That Taipan is simply awesome. Extremely well put together with lots of carbon and all the good go fast gear. I can see a great future for this in Europe. Too exy for most Oz sailors but it would be great to see a local design really take off. What is AHPC's attitude to the boat?

p.s. My wife Jan got some short vid footage.

[This message has been edited by berny (edited 26 April 2006).]

It is a weapon of a boat and its exactly what AHPC should have done 10 years ago.

The time to build and tune everything was much longer than I initally thought but the results have been outstanding.

I would love to see some 5.7 owners do the conversion and would be more than happy to share our knowledge.

Originally posted by macca:

It is a weapon of a boat and its exactly what AHPC should have done 10 years ago.

Ok, I'm up to speed now having read the posts at 'Catsailor'

You're right it is a weapon and should be successful in every sence of the word. You've done a great job with it and I wish you all the very best with it's campaign.

Bern

[This message has been edited by berny (edited 27 April 2006).]

Archived