Motion # 2

humungus2

That the construction of sails be opened up to allow any sail maker to make a maricat sail as long as it complies to maricat regulations

Proposed by Mike Colecliffe

Seconded by Peter Breaden.

Reason: It will allow for more cmpetitive rates on the sails, more choice and conviniance for interstate sailors.

This motion has been put to the association.

Would agree with you on this one completely. Any chance to include the material being open to Pentax seeing as some boats are using it now in the ripstop sails... it would just ensure that these boats are not protested in Association events. The same thing was done to ensure the foam sandwich boats are not protested from Association events by adding the words "including foam sandwich construction".

Could just include the "Dacron or Pentax" material. Pentax is actually only high modulas Dacron anyway and usually used by classes that don't allow exotic materials such as mylar or carbon.

would just save some potential protests for those people using pentax sails such as yourself.

So it means the Pentax ripstop sails should not be used then. Well, if that is what you want and if others agree with you.

had not really thought that Pentax was more complicated than Dacron.... same amount of letters in each.

I agree with this motion any maker should be able to make a sail to class rules.With regards to the play on the word daron this is my knowledge Dacron is a trade name for tightly woven polyster fibres, which come in a variety of weaves and forms e.g yarn tempered, ripstop.

Therefore dacron is a generic for polyster and Pentax is form of polyster which trade name is a SUPER DACRON .You decide ?

Don't get me wrong, I am not a sail maker so sail meteriel means nothing to me unless I am told by some one who knows.

I would say the same for a lot of people. I just don't want to see the class go down hill by people having to spend mega dollars on sails that only last half the time just to win. The youth of today just can't afford that and I am sure I can't.

If it can be proven that Pentex is Dacron then well and good. Bring on the Pentex. I know I wouldn't own another Pentex sail.

A number of other classes have challenged whether Pentax can be considered Dacron. In all cases I have seen it has been accepted that Pentax is high modulas polyester (Dacron) and is able to be used.

So Those currently using Pentax sails should be ok. I think it is important to modify the wording to expilicity include the work Pentax to avoid any confusion and protests.

Just thinking of others as Mike would say... since I am quite happy with my Dacron sail smile.gif

You are correct in saying that Pentex is more expensive.From what i have seen the Pentex being used in sails has 'see through' appearance.Which would make it polyster sandwiched between Mylar films, is this class legal. Standard Pentex is much heavier and used in large one design yachts that also have a Dacron only rule, they only use it in mainsails as it breaks down to quickly in jibs.I won't be using Pentex even if class legal due to extra cost and shorter life span.

If Pentex is agreed to fit into the Dacron family ,then there is no need to ad the word Pentex,if you do then you opening up to all forms of Pentex e.g polyster sandwiched between Mylar fims which is type of Pentex.If the Pentex is added i will getting Pentex sail !

• 2 months later...

So what is the out come on sail material. Can you use Pentax sails or not. And have the sail shape changed to the new bigger head sail.

If so suggest that the assoication get the class rules changed on the web page or at least clarify what you can use and what guage material.

I think the class should stick to Dacron. Much cheeper and less costly for younger sailors.

The rules on the sails has not changed apart from clarification that the sails may be made by any sail maker to the Association specifications. There is no change to shape or material... thats why the web site stays as it is smile.gif

Archived