Mari vs Taipan

Cfigio

As someone looking for my first cat, I was pretty keen on getting a Mari, but have been offered a wooden Taipan. Now it sounds good, but did see one comment in the Taipan forum regarding the cost of upkeep. Religious wars aside, it a Mari that much cheeper to own? Or was it just a friendly jab which I've missunderstood?

C.

I sell boats for a living and I can tell you for a fact that any plywood boat no matter what type is going to be high maintanance. If you havn't got the time to look after her. Leave her on the shelf. The fibreglass boats of any type cost more to purchase but next to nothing in time and money to maintain.

The upkeep on both boats would be the same. Sails, tramps and halyads are the main expences. The Taipan is a bigger boat and takes up more room to store but they are faster than a maricat.

The Maricat fleets are building up again so the compertition is fresh and keen. One big advantage of a maricat over a taipam is they are almost indistructable and cheap to buy.

• 9 months later...

I went from a wooden cherub to a Mari, with the cerub it was sand and varnish every spring, sand paint or varnish after most outings as you would invariably either scratch the bottom or ding the boat (read punch a hole thru the hull) hose off all the salt after sailing, make sure the boat is stored dry to prevent rot (did'nt,) just too much work even for someone that grew up with plywood boats. I promised myself that the next boat would be fibreglass and would'nt need bailing out after a capsise. Result a Maricat. The mari is nearly bullet proof, bit of a hose after sailing, leave in the driveway over winter, just take the tramp off, no worries. Unless you are a good carpenter or cabinetmaker take the mari.

Me again, just brought a 2nd Mari from out west (orange) they are selling them pretty cheap out there ie winter, no water in the dams etc, Mark 2, registered trailer. Good deals are out there, if you are patient. This one had been sitting in a paddock for 2 years in the open, needs a new tramp, mouse damage to the jib, but otherwise fairly good, would'nt be the same story for a plywood boat in the same storage conditions

Go for any of the 14' production cats, I have found that maris are easiest to find 2nd hand parts for and currently hav e the strongest fleets, seek advice when you have a boat in mind. Prices range from $500 to $8000 second hand, (8,500 will buy the current Aust Champ foam Mari). They all have different faults to be aware of Ph (02) 43591729 any time if you have any questions

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on my second Maricat.

Their a great little boat, sail well, are very forgiving, and are cheap as chips to run. (IMHO)

It also depends on what you want to do with your boat (race or just sail just for the fun of it?)

My first Mari cost me $750, and I spent probably another $600 on it to get it in great order. My current Mari cost my $1,100, and I have so far spent another $160 replacing the rigging, and it's currently in having the rear chainplate anchor points re glassed which I'm told will cost me another $250.

Any of teh 14 foot production boats will do if your just going to sail for fun, but don't get a wooden boat. Too much work, too many hassles.

Cheers

Barry

[This message has been edited by BarryK1200LT (edited 17 July 2007).]

Archived