Mari, Windrush or Hobie?

Bnaccas

Hi, sorry to bug you guys but I haven't sailed a cat (Maricat) since I was a kid with my old man (probably 20 years ago) and was looking at buying my own. I'm looking for a 14ft (maybe 16ft) cat or thereabouts with a jib. I just have a couple questions:

- Which is considered the faster cat?

- Which would be easier to rig?

- Which would be the strongest? (hulls & rigging)

- Which would be easiest to maintain?

- Are replacement parts easy to get for all of them?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm also in Melbourne if you know anyone with a good boat for sale. Looking to spend around 2000 to maybe 3000.

Thanks

Brendan

[This message has been edited by Bnaccas (edited 09 December 2008).]

Find a club that sails cats and select the one that you'll get most OD racing with. Once you find the club, chances are you'll find someone who 'trades' them. Up our way 14's can be got for $600 up depending on condition etc etc.

I have a Mari but there is a mix of Mari's, Windies, etc at Mannering Park. The Mari has a nice rounded deck to make it more comfy to hike but I suspect it goes down the mine faster because of it's finer bows. Make sure the mainsheet can be let off real quick!!

I have owned a Maricat, Cruz Cat, Hobie 14, I would have to say the Maricat is the toughest and parts are available and they don't have the tendancy to trip over themselves as much as a hobie. in other words Maricats have more buoyancy in the hulls. Forget the Cruz cat, there is no parts supplier that I could find.

Thanks for your help. I am watching that Windrush on ebay and this is the main reason for my questions. We had a maricat when I was a kid and there was always hobies around. I don't know to much about windrush's. I can still seem to sail alright and my wife got a great photo.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/bnaccas/NacraSirocco1.jpg

That was a resort cat at daydream island (Nacra Sirocco) with no cleat on the main or seat belt strap things for ya feet. Was fun but hard on the hands! I'm sure you all have plenty shots like this but I was stoked!

Thanks again.

Brendan

[This message has been edited by Bnaccas (edited 10 December 2008).]

I think that would be a biased answer. Basically what jimbo said is the best answer, find what is sailed most in your local area, and look at that. Hobies seem to be very thin on the ground now, hardly any of the 14s are raced. I can't say for windies re parts but parts are easy to get for mari's, secondhand or new both are reasonably priced.

Cheers Phil

I sail and enjoy Mari for the competition, I think the windy to be a tougher more bouyant boat than Mari or hobie, easier to depower, cheaper and easier to get new parts for, and nearly as comfortable as the Mari to sit on. When you find a boat get back to this forum with sail No and details for advice, there are different problems with each boat type, Darcy (02)43591729.

I'll add just one more comment. Once you've taken whatever you buy out for a sail, go screaming up and down a few times you'll then look around and think "what now".

That's why I suggest you find out what your local club has because racing is THE best way to get to sail your new boat. I got into cats because the nearest club sails them. We have a 14ft class of mixed cats, most are Mari's but the others are good competition, oh and there's a clubhouse with beer for afterwards!! What could be better!

I'll throw my 2 bobs worth in (note: biased opinion from Windrush national champ)

I've sailed Windrush, Mari's (once or twice) and even had a crack on the bigger brother of the Hobie 14 (Hobie 16).

Windrush are the most forgiving in a blow courtesy of the hull shape (no banana bend). You can bury one alot further before it will tip. A Mari is second in this ability be cause it is less banana shaped than a Hobie 14 and has alot more bouyancy than one too.

Both Windrush and Mari have fleets in NSW. Windrush (NSW/WA/VIC) are sailed more widely across Australia than Maricats (mainly ACT/NSW). Both have readily available new parts and secondhand parts are generally easily obtained if u know the right people.

As Jimbo says find out what your local club sails, a windy and a mari are relatively similar in performance. Mari's are better in light conditions in comparison and Windys better in 12knts+.

Both have a fair amount of 'toughness' though as Darcy says there are problems to look out for with both. Which are fixable and avoidable with the right maintenance.

With the Windrush fleet in Melbourne the clubs are Barwon Heads (Geelong way) they are mainly into social racing in the river mouth and there is one at Safety bay. Other place is Chelsea Yacht Club (used to be the big windy club), there is a guy there by the name of Mike who sails a fairly new windy. Email me at mpfeffer@unwired.com.au and i'll put you in touch with Mike.

It's a common sense thing!! I sail a Windrush because I'm in Victoria and there are no Maricats racing in a regular FLEET down this way. So, it was a simple choice as it's far more fun sailing in a fleet that on your own. Had we had Maricats at Chelsea then I guess I would be sailing one of those. But not a Hobie 14 as I don't like submarines!!! LOL.

Archived