f14

Tim

37 degrees in the shade (and there wasn't any) bucket loads of sweat, three postponements, then a cancelation as the wind was so lacking that it didn't even register on the wind gauge,

BUT it floated beautifully in ankle deep water.

We sailed on Monday evening after work in five to eight knots (just) and dead flat water and for what that was worth, and it far exceeded our upper most expectations.

It won't be in the water this weekend either as I have to drive up to Sydney to conduct a little business. hopefully I can get some time to sail it before I qualify for the pension!

Is this built by the same people who used to build AO's near toronto on lake maquarie?

Can you explain the rationale why there is an inspection port on the inner hull waterline and not out of the water on the stern? If one port was only slightly loose it'd fill up the hull fast.

Why spoil clean hull lines and water flow with something which will act as a brake?

interresting concept!

Qb2

Same designer, same builders but AO's were never built near Toronto, although Bob Lawrence used to live there and he sold them for some time before he moved back to Sydney some years ago.

It is mandatory to have an inspection port in each hull of a cat that is raced, and the best place, where it intrudes least on water flow, asthetics etc is on the inside aft section of the hull. When sailing, the cat is always heeled AWAY from the inspection port, lifting it above the water level, besides on this Alpha the transoms rarely depress below the water surface level let alone the hatch. You must be getting confused with cats with "under bouyant banana" hulls that drag their transoms through the water most of the time.

Will you be putting them into production or is it going to be a one off?

If it did go into production would it be about 13k???

It is always good to see someone doing something new in catamarans, even though yours is not a totally new design.

I always thought they were a boat the had plenty of potential and it was a shame that more of them didn't get out on the water.

I loved the non skid on the side of them as well spelling out the name.

Where did the logo on the sail come from?

Originally posted by Darryl J Barrett:

It is mandatory to have an inspection port in each hull of a cat that is raced, and the best place, where it intrudes least on water flow, asthetics etc is on the inside aft section of the hull.

Which authority makes it 'mandatory' to have a port in each hull ?

Maybe I'd better stop racing !!

Inspection ports are only require by some class rules (I believe - but I have been wrong before!) so that internal structure and bouancy among other things can be verified. We use them to have access mainly to the internal fastenings for the rudder fittings with out having to cut a hole in the hull if you ever have to do work on them.

It would be nice to sail at Milang BUT at this stage (with Christmas approaching) our work load is such that I will be happy if I can even get in the water once between now and when the "Jolly old fat man in the red suit" shows up.

Although it has the undenyable "look" of all our Alpha Omegas, if you see it in "the flesh" you would realise immediately that it is an entirely new design with the aerodynamics and the hydrodynamics appreciable different from, in particulr, the "old" 4.4 Alpha Omega. The criteria for this one is completely different from that of the 4.4 ie it is over 7" shorter for a start with the deck height at 3" lower and yet it is carrying considerably more power at a much lower weight. With all these (and other) differences, there, obviously have to be MAJOR" differences in the design ratios

Archived