Beach wheels

TonyB

• 3 weeks later...

make your own out of some plastic wheel barrow wheels,

i used some old cradles form a dead set, an old spin pole and 2 wheels, total cost was $32 and they are brilliant on harder sand/rocks bearable on soft sand and very very light! starting from scratch you should be able to build under $100 if your thrifty.

Have you got a parts list to make a set of Beachwheels or details on where you got the wheels from?

I am trying to get my hands on two 16 x 6.5 kelso wheelbarrow inflatable tyres with plastic rims but they so far will cost over $140 each from a hardware store. I can get the tyres only from a tyre store but they cost $100.

what is the minimum width tyre you should have for a 14-15 foot cat?

you dont need tham that big, I made a set and repaired some cobra ones with 4 inch wide rims and tyres to suit and thy cope just fine.

I used rims with a 50mm diameter hub, well they were a little smaller and i took them out with a hole saw. your looking for rims that have a 50mm metal bearing that you prise out and leave the 50mm hole. no bearings are required for loads less than 150 kilos.

one of the locals use the same rims for his taipan 5.7 so they are strong enough for a 14!

got mine from a freind at nubco, extra extra cheap smile.gif

use a 2 inch pole.

4 inch rims are common, they can be wider but on most surfaces the 4 inch ones are fine.

hull supports are easy, turn your boat upside down, pick a spot about 3/4 of the way back, cover with some carpet about 12inches square would be ok. (i know i work in inches but its easier for me this way) then fiberglass some layers to the carpet, now u will have some beatifully fitting supports. now glass them to the 2in tube.

lighter alum is good, light wheels are good too, in the end it should not weigh much more than about 5 kilos, which is fantastic news for your back at the end of the day!

Much thanks! I will try and source some cheap wheels through local hardware/tool stores.

I am definitely looking for as light a pair of wheels as I can get to lug around. my old pair of wheels used to weigh a tonne and were a real drag to tot around at the end of a hard day on the water

Archived