comparisons

Emmessee

Loved the A-Class, the hole in it did not help nor the replacement rigging after the little dick heads attacked a few boats. Went well when I got the rig back to normal.

I have a PT in the garage but not sailed it yet. We need a beer mate.

Matty

PRICES??

“If you pay in peanuts all you get are monkeys”

Here are some prices taken from the Windrush site. For their “fastest” model

Super sloop (base) $9,350.00

Jib (full kit) $995.00

Mainsail (Dacron) $755.00

Battens $130.90

Trapeze kit (no harness) $177.10

Total $11,408.00

Plus GST of $1,140.80

Grand total $12,548.80

And that is only “from the factory” parts, if you want to race at the top level you have to spend more on sails battens etc, and other fittings to bring it up to “fully competitive” status.

After all that you end up with a catamaran designed and still built with the same materials and to the standards of the late 20th century (1975 or there about) when for an additional $4,451.00, you can get an Alpha Omega F14 on the water in full race tune and condition with nothing more to spend, a cat that is all carbon fibre as standard with everything already there to race at the highest level, with a spinnaker and coming in at 75kgs. It has a strength factor and an expected competitive life span that is so much better than any other “accepted” 14’ cat, that it makes them all look obsolete and “flimsy” by comparison.

As a further comparison, the AO F14 races competitively with and against cats that are much larger i.e. Nacra 5.8’s, A class F18’s, F16’s etc, (all Hobie 16’s and standard Mosquitos and their like are just simply non competitive against the AO F14). The real comparison in price for the Alpha Omega F14 should surely and fairly be taken against the cats that it races with and is competitive with?

What is the current price of a new A class? Even the “new” Viper from AHPC, is “standard” at just under $22,000.00 (GST included) for a cat with aluminium beams and mast etc, and a ay up of polyester resin and “common” fibre glass. If you want carbon fibre and/or Kevlar, then you pay more, and don’t even think about vynalester or epoxy resin!

How does the price of the AO F14 compare to a new F18? Fairly good I would say, and F18’s regularly finish races behind the AO F14 (across the line.

So perhaps your comparison should be corrected to an ENZO Ferrari but at the price of a Holden commodore??

TornadoSport260, i couldnt agree with you more. Brett uses factory spec everything when he sails, and to top that off he only races once a year! I changed only 1 batten and im pretty sure Rob Thompson uses standard gear too. Ditto with greg mair.

Whilst i do not currently own or race a Windrush 14, in my experience they are the most rewarding 14 to sail. Just my opinion.

Currently i am racing Narca F18 Infusion (mine) plus crew on Tornado with (new boat yet to be built) all have there good/bad points. At he end of the day we are all out there (hopefully) having fun on whichever boat we choose.

Fair winds

The best mod you can do to a windrush is put a small piece of elastic with a plastic ring (to keep weight down) where your elastic meets the bottom of your trap wires and thread the jib sheet through it. This way the jib sheet follows you when your on wire hence you dont lose any of the leverage coz u never have to bend in to tighten or losen your jib sheets.

But when you are as fat as me you don't need the trapize you wombats. I could sail a fusion alone I think. Don't know how the poor PT will go with me on it.

One day a nice AO out of the box would be nice. By then maybe the kids would sail with me and then I could get a big boat.

Archived