comparisons

Emmessee

ok, been done before but just want to refresh the debate.

What are the speed differences (not including skipper ability) between a Maricat 4.3, H14, Windrush and Paper Tiger.

After sailing for more than 30 years I have not really paid that much attention to the 14 foot bregade.

Thanks

Assuming competent crew and depending on wind conditions;

Super sloop Windy foam is quickest, toss up between H14 and Mari although Mari is much nicer to sail.

Cat rigged;

PT is probably quickest in most conditions.

[This message has been edited by berny (edited 16 July 2007).]

I meant 20cm's.

I was not really comparing them if you read the first post, I was only comparing the 14's but added the y/s for the 4.5 out of interest as I came across it.

I am a big skipper and will be happy playing at the back of the fleet as I did in the mari's a few years back.

Back to the original Q from EMMESSEE obviously those Y/Sticks are only achieved by the top 6/12 boats in each class, a stock windy/mari with stock multi coloured dacron sails will be 5-10% slower. Hobies dont allow any change to sails and all P/Tigers are fast but fragile. The windies are probably the toughest and least prone to breakage and corrosion (I am constantly repairing 14s) and sail Mari because of current class strength and competition.

I have never been beaten by another 14 foot on my good PT. I have had 5 Windrushes so am not biased. A late model PT is a very advanced boat in set up compared to the others and needs to be sailed well to gain max power and speed.

I am now sailing a 14 squared which is an entirely bigger boat than the PT or Windrush..much wider. It would not be fair for that boat to compete without some sort of handicap.

I think putting the other boats in together is fine.

So While the heavier, tougher cats are fun and can be treated roughly IMHO the PT is way the best purist sailboat.

Originally posted by xmatelot:

PS,

they are still very good cats.

pete smile.gif

Windrush 14 Foamy, very quick in the right hands. Would be good to see a series between the top 14 guys in the country raced on current VYC Yarkstick. Windrush Nationals are down the road from Mari Nats this year, would be closest oportuniy for a while. Im sure Brett and i could borrow a coupla boats for a day!!!Hehe

The main reason Koonawarra Bay SC developed their own yardsticks for 14ft catamarans was because we saw the VYC yardsticks as being inaccurate. Our contacts in numerous classes told us that the level of competition in the production cats (Windrush, Maricat, Hobie) was not strong in Victoria, hence the VYC yardstick inaccuracy. We set about developing our own, which used information sourced from some other yardstick systems. This was built up (as mentioned above) over many years of our 14ft catamaran regatta. One of the strengths of this process has been that we have regularly had State and National Champion sailors from various classes competing at the regatta, so the comparison between classes has been quite fair (assuming a similar level of competitors in the different classes).

Having either sailed in or run every one of Koonawarra Bay SC's 14ft cat regattas, my observations would be that Paper Tigers are very often the fastest upwind (nearly always first to the first mark), but off the wind the boats with more sail area (mainly the Super Sloop or Turbo configurations, as well as Arrows) are faster. Generally, the stronger the wind, the fewer of these boats will get past the Paper Tigers, to the point where in very strong winds, the Paper Tigers can be the quickest to the finish, or be beaten by only one or two Windrush Super Sloops.

One of the main advantages of the Paper Tiger is its ability to tack and accelerate quickly. This advantage obviously becomes more apparent in shifty conditions, when many of the production cats will sail large knocks to avoid tacking, while Paper Tigers will sail the shifts.

The Paper Tiger is most vulnerable in light and steady conditions, when the boats with more sail area and less tacking ability make the most of these conditions. It is important to note that the Paper Tiger has the smallest sail of the common cats. It has 100sqft compared with (I think) 110sqft for a Windrush cat rig and 120sqft for a Maricat cat rig. (Please correct me if these figures are wrong.)

Regards,

Dave Stumbles

Koonawarra Bay SC

So what you are saying Dave is:

The PT = a Lotus Exige (compact, light weight, handles well, great power to weight ratio)

The Windrush 14 = a Subaru WRX Sti (not bad weight, good power to weight ratio, good acceleration)

The Maricat 4.3 = a Holden Monaro (a reinvented muscle car, heavy, not the greatest power to weight ratio, but in the right conditions a leathal weapon nonetheless)

Any thoughts?

Archived