winter in paradise

yarra bay

• 1 month later...

Results are on the PSSAC website.

There was good close racing between the 14ft cats with Windies, Maris and a Hobie. There was a reasonable light to moderate breeze across both days with pleasant 18 degree temps. The regatta was won by Mick on handicap but beaten on scratch by the Pfeffers and in one race by a Mari SS.

The Pfeffers were very fast on all parts of the course and in all wind strengths. Bulldozer had a swim in the chilly water on the way to the start of the first race in about 5 knots of wind, Scotty was off the pace on Saturday but flying on Sunday. Full Tilt would rather play with the Maris than the other Windies. Pointed Reply was quick in the lighter breeze but fell away when it blew at bit. In one race PR hit the front but then fell off! The Hobie suffered from Hypothermia and sailed on Sunday in a balaclava. Mick was consistent across the weekend, back in the pack a bit in the light stuff but quick in a breeze. The Doggie Boat was kept in on Saturday and only sailed on Sunday. The start boat was so big it cast a wind shadow about 500 metres downwind.

The compertition was great. Michael on the Windy SS showed the true speed of a Windy SS. He convinsingly beat me which brings it back to the sailor and boat combernation, and not just the boat.

Question?

Can anyone tell me if the Windrush yardsticks changed when they went to Foam Sandwich and Mylar sails?

Yeh, our yardstick came down because of the Mylar sails (modified shape and sail area increase), the hulls didnt do much as ours are still built to the 77.5kg platform weight which the bulkhead boats were produced too.

Also i think you'll find that the courses generally suited the Windies with tighter reaches and less running.

There was good racing, Mick was quick as usual in all the conditions. Gratz on the win.

Archived