Regattas in far flung places

bad dog

I'm wondering if anybody else is interested in joining or hosting a regatta in far flung places. I realise that "far flung" is anywhere a long way from you are - so far flung for me is Broome, but Sydney is far flung to someone in Broome. So much for semantics - how about sailing?

Broome, for example, is a great spot for a regatta. So is Cape Leveque. Maybe a Broome-James Price Point Marathon before the WA Govt and Woodside destroy the place.

There are so many places - they just seem a long way away until you decide to go. That's always the hard bit - deciding.

Any other suggestions?

Its not that far flung but now that the Murray River is flowing the lower lakes are filling really quickly with a mind boggling amount of water. There is a push down here in South Aus to have the Goolwa-Meningie race again for the first time in years. Even though its only about 70km as the crow flies its a bit of a marathon obstacle course with travelling down the Goolwa inlet, crossing one lake through the narrows which is a creek with high banks then accross another lake to Meningie. Guys at our club can remember finishing at 9pm guided by the lights of Meningie

It's normally held late spring or summer so that they can rely on a sea breeze. Normally theres no sea breeze until 1-2pm only the prevailing wind that can be from any direction so when you start in the morning it can be a drifter, a beat or good wind. If it's forecast you can rely on a good sea breeze to get you home accross the lake in the afternoon. When I did the Goolwa-Milang in 2007 it was 15+puffs the whole time. They're big lakes and it can turn into a marathon so good skills are needed, including navigation for the Goolwa-Meningie no kids under 16 was the rule but the Goolwa-Milang can be sailed by anyone.

I don't know what your planning bad dog but I'd be pretty keen to attend a far flung regatta. I did the Lake Eyre sailing club regatta in July and that was brilliant. I've just got back from Milang on the first lake at the end of the Murray river, there were 3 Taipan 5.7's and a 4.9 there and the gusts recorded at the club hit 30kts today totally wild but only 2 ft chop so brilliant fun.

I heard about the LEYC regatta - it was up at he big billabong on Cooper Creek wasn't it? I flew over LE North and South mid August - not enough depth to sail in, but amazing site.

I'd be thinking some time 2011 to give people who work (damn that!) time to plan...

• 8 months later...

Hey bad dog put November 19th 2011 in your diary for the Goolwa-Meningie, my spies tell me the organisers are getting into the logistics so if anyone wants to see it happen post on here so I can forward your names or contact the Meningie Sailing Club to encourage them.

all three of the lower lakes regattas are awesome!! goolwa - milang ; milang to goolwa and the goolwa to meningie. the meningie race is a fair drive for beach crew as they have to go the long way around the lake, but definately some nice wineries in langhorne creek along the way!!!! but flat water, plenty of breeze ( normally)

• 3 weeks later...

Does far-flung include OS destinations? Take a look at the post started in the 14ft Forum - about International Holiday Destinations... with or WITHOUT cats for hire...

I'm trying to get a feel for how many cat sailors would travel OS regularly if - and only if - there were good, well-maintained, fast cats they could sail when they got there...

PP

It looks like the Goolwa to Meningie race will be on this year, the Meningie sailing club are sortring out logistics for November 19th 2011

This in my opinion is the premier race in Australia, a true marathon from Goolwa at the mouth of the Murray River up the river, accross 360 square km Lake Alexandrina, accross the smaller Lake Albert and on to Meningie. This will be nearly every point of sail including going through the Narrows a creek between the lakes. It's taken floods to get these lakes filled again and who knows when it will happen again so if your interested contact the Meningie Sailing club and tell them as they have tentitively set this date subject to getting the logistics organised.

See you there

• 4 weeks later...

I pity the guys in Tassie. They have some really and I mean really great sailing spots. We were in Tassie for a month over christmas and some of the venues are real and great. Stanley is almost perfect with a bay and a caravan park on the beach.

Then there is the Derwent, Lauderdale, Strathan, George Town, Swansea and Coles Bay, Bruny Island, Bridport and the names go on. Seriously some punter should put together a Summer Superseries around Tassie. I drove my wife mad each time we arrived at a place I would say- 'How good would it be to sail here". And then there is Tassie food and beer and Cider and great locals and - don't forget, it's still circa 1984 down there.

• 11 months later...

Archived