18 foot A CLASS rebuild

Raf-1200

Hi All,

Recently bought an 18 foot A cat to replace my Hobie. Once I got it home though the 'fix it up' bug hit me.

With a plywood full covered in epoxy (mostly) the hulls were starting to show there age. I've fibreglassed all problem areas but now am considering putting a couple of layers over the whole lot. This is for a couple of reasons. Firstly this will be more a family cat then a racer and secondly I don't want to redo the coating in 2 years time:D

Here's a few issues I would like to have people's opinion on.

1) Is the extra strength worth it when you take into account the added weight?

2) A cats weren't designed for jibs or spinnakers (although sailors have added them). If I wanted to add a jib for instance, what are the structural concerns and can fibreglassing offset this?

3) What coat to put over the top of the fibreglass? I'm leaning towards the Jotun product Jotacote 605 and then a UV stabilizer on top.

Will start posting pics when I think I've done enough to make it worth it!

Once you put the extra weight on it you kill it for racing and once you put your family on it plus weight you may be disapointed. A jib may pull your bows together so you could add a spreader bar to hold your bows. I did up my timber A class, in my opinion all it needs is complete stripping of all the coatings then everdure to seal the wood, two coats of good undercoat, 1 or 2 coats of good quality marine topcoat. It will cost you a lot to do all this on an older boat but not as much as all the glassing your considering, I found it was cheaper and better at the time to have a Stingray for 2 up and A class for 1 up. They both go on the same trailer, the A can sit on top of the Stingray or hang from your shed ceiling. You can get a Stingray for the cost of a new jib and cost of reinforcing your bows.

Thanks for the reply Madaboutcats. I'm sure I've seen some of your words of wisdom on other websites as well. I'm not sure that my partner would be all that happy about 2 cats..;) The spreader bar could be an addition. The bonus being that I can add it after I get the boat back on the water. I really don't think my cat would be all that competitive these days anyway so I'm happy to add a few kilos if it means I can have more sail area and just relegate it to fast family beach cat.

Besides a spreader is there any other considerations like extra fibreglass in areas or even changing the front stay mounts? I noticed that mine are 110cm's from the bow but when I check the ply frame there's more support 20cm's closer to the bow.

The guy before me did the hulls up only 3 years ago and when I bought it, it already had horizontal splits in the coating. On some areas it had actually split enough to see the ply! They were up to 7cm long. I want to keep this one for a while so don't want to be doing the same every three years. I shouldn't even put in one layer of fibreglass?!!

When you look inside your boat it only has little stringers the bows flex upwards, sideways, hence the splitting in your paint. The problem you've got is your boat was made light and with a heavy load like adding a jib, putting family on it when you push into and through a wave, will have enormous load it was never made to have, you have a real chance of breaking the bow of in front of your main beam if you get caught in heavier wind. It's a great fun cat, I would enjoy the boat as it is don't spend any money or time on it you don't have to, BUT if your itching to have a go for the enjoyment of redoing the girl then go for it thats how I learnt

Point taken. Thanks for the advice. I do like to tinker but if I'm making something slower just for the sake of hopefully getting more out of it, it doesn't make a lot of sense. If no one has any objections I think I'll just epoxy/top coat it and get 1 season out of it. Start looking for the next project now. Mwwaahhhahha!

• 2 months later...

Archived