Windrush 14 repairs

windy214

Hi All,

I have just bought an early Windrush 14 sail no: 214 for fun (not racing).

There is a crack in the hull under the forward beam hinge fitting about 100mm long and 1mm wide. It is more than a gelcoat crack. I would like to remove the hinge and repair it properly but before I start stripping heads off screws, can it actually be removed ?

Cheers

Mike

Hi Norman,

Thanks for the reply but I am really asking if the hinge can be removed. I have tried removing the screws but they wont budge, they may just be corroded, or are they epoxied in place?? I will drill them out and re-tap the threads if necessary but it would be nice to hear from anyone who has tackled this problem before.

Hi Windy,

I'm new here - but an 'old' Windrush sailor... sounds like you plan to undertake major surgery.

If it were me, I'd take a few photos and forward them onto Brett at Windrush Yachts - and if you can find a boat number anywhere - he'll probably tell you what version of W14 you have...

BTW, I'm the new agent in Sydney for Windrush... so if you wanna see a new W14 up close, let me know - I just took delivery... and don't forget if you want a way to store your boat - and you have a reasonalbly high garage - we do the Lift King Freestanding Hoists - SHAMELESS PLUG – I know... there's a pic of my 'old' W14 on top of a Lift King 8XL hoist on the website...

:)

Rohan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Windy, lots of the older boats have had that same repair done , many of them aren't very pretty repairs but generally with those older boats the owners haven't been that worried about cosmetics - just want to get it back on the water & generally overengineered their repairs. I know in the group of boats we sail with there are 3 or 4 that have had repairs done in that area. One thing you might find an advantage with is to cut an inspection port in the top of your deck just behind the front beam . (The bulkhead boats all have hatches in that area) The older boats normally only had hatches behind the rear beam. This will help with access to the inside. As Another suggestion if you do go for the hatch suggestion is to go for the hatch that is slightly larger than the standard 100mm ronstan hatch - Naan (or something like that ) a kiwi company make a nice 5" hatch that just fits - this is a lot easier to get your arm into the hull for those tricky repairs.

Where are you in WA ? We sail down at Albany .

Hi George, thanks for that. I already have some 5" hatches for another project so i will use them for now. Brett from Windrush sent me a message today saying I need to cut it open and install a bulkhead. I dont know how I can fit that thru a 5" hole but will cut it open and see what needs to be done.

I live in Australind but may get down to Albany one weekend and go for a sail on the harbour.

Hi windy , I think if you cut out a bulkhead you can install it in 2 parts that will fit through the hatch then you can glass them in & join them together. - The bulkheads aren't solid top to bottom - they have a hole in the middle you could put your arm through (these are the ones on the bulkhead models anyway) - really any sort of struts you can put in for extra strength would do .

Good luck with the repair.

• 1 month later...

Bulkhead repair

Hi, I've done two bulkhead retro fits to the older Windrushes. The first was by cutting a section out of the keel and putting the bulkhead in in one piece. The advantage of this was, I was able to repair and strengthen the area around the underside of the beam and keep the bulhead in one piece. I was also able to bond both sides of the bulkhead to the hull sides. I still had to put in an inspection hatch to glass up the rear of the keel section. This method gives a stronger (in my opinion) bulkhead. The other was done through an inspection hatch in the top. I had to cut the bulkhead in half and then fibre glass this in. My boat is at Donnybrook and I ocassionally sail on the estuary at Australind if you are interested in seeing it sometime.

Nick

• 3 weeks later...

windrush hull repairs

I have a tidy, undamaged set of white windrush 14 hulls for sale. They have firm decks, and no leaks . They have very few stress cracks in the gel coat. if you are contemplating major hull repairs, consider buying these, either as a replacement or an interim measure, while your hulls are being repaired. The Windrush swing down rudder system is also available and very good condition. Maroochydore phone 0754796111.

Archived