Trapeze Technique

mferguson

WHat is the best way to get out on trapeze on a small cat in a reasonable blow without crashing? I am trying different ways to go from sitting to being out on the wire whilst holding onto the mainsheet (uncleated) and the tiller without losing control, falling off, rounding up, rounding down or capsizing.

Is there an established technique? i.e. connect wire to harness after rounding bottom mark and just push out hoping for the best? I'd be interested in what others do.

If you get time to watch youtube theres vids showing people going out, in etc. When I was new to trapeze I had shorter rope on the dogbone so it was easier to get out, just enough to drop the backside over the edge. When you round the bottom mark, I have my sails pulled in pretty tight with a bit of traveller still out, go out on the wire while pulling the traveller in.

I have my tiller hand pushing out on the edge of the hull, (so my hand doesn't push tiller changing course accidentally), and opposite leg pushing out at the same time. So on Starboard, left hand down on hull pushing and right leg pushing out. I have the mainsheet in my right hand and holding trapeze handle. Just before I go out I sheet on to about 90% then when I push out I am also pulling the mainsheet on as I go which brings it on to nearly 98%. I then steer to keep the hull up so I don't get swept off the side.

This may not be the fastest or perfect way to go out on the trapeze, but it works and feels the safest for me. Checkout out my video clip on youtube (Taipan4.9 at Rivoli Bay) it will show what I am doing. (1.45min mark)

Good luck.

Archived