14 SQ being forgotten ?.

Piggy

Just looking around at the Nacra clan for my next craft, mainly looking at the singlehanders.

The 14SQ & 16SQ are obviously very similar ( only size difference ) and look like the type of setup I prefer. I have noticed that the 16 is going very strongly but the 14 seems to be have been forgotten, disappearing ?. Why is this so ?.

Is the 16SQ taking the same market as the 14SQ ( bigger is better ? ). Are people heading to the new 430 in preference ?.

For your input.

Piggy, Word on the street is that the 14SQ is becoming popular around sailors who want a cat that is easily rigged solo.

We have 2 turned up this year with a possiblility of another 2 by the end of the season.

I'm considering buying one at the end of the year with a spinnaker fitted, they are apparently getting a refresh by briscat.

430 is an awesome boat and has sold exceptionally well given the current economic circumstances.

16SQ has always been a strong class like the 5.8, bullet proof and reliable.

14SQ is very much a niche boat, 430 is more of an all-rounder, really versatile machine.

There are a lot of 14sqs in sydney, The 16sq has the power and speed to excite the heavier sailor. With the new proposed square top sail, this should improve the down hill speed. The Opional Spinnaker according to Geoff from Ballina (the new State champ), makes it a very fast exciting cat.

There are a lot of 14sqs in sydney' date=' The 16sq has the power and speed to excite the heavier sailor. With the new proposed square top sail, this should improve the down hill speed. The Opional Spinnaker according to Geoff from Ballina (the new State champ), makes it a very fast exciting cat.[/quote']

Consider the Nacra I17 or F17 also a 1 OR 2 up, I have raced against a 16sq with spinaker and it was awsome fast down wind and able to go very low, would like to see how a 14sq would perform with a mylar square top main and spinaker, if it has enough volume it would be awsome also, why not put a self tacker jib on as well, just set and forget, will the 14 sq mast be strong enough to hold a spinaker, the 16 sq seems to be fine with a spinaker

the 14sq mast is very heavy duty. So much so, it makes it hard to alter the sail shape. You could add more sail, but you might as well add another foot of length too, call it a Mosquito and enjoy better racing.

They are a fast, relatively simple boat which can be sailed easily in comfort on a trapeze. Making them more complex does not make them better.

As they are rare, and the few examples are getting old, the two I know of were bought cheaply (

197515_10150111582999571_793264570_6141959_2968707_n.jpg

The 14sq is unfortunately caught half-way between the fast cats and the 14' cats. After a few years of regular appearances and haggling, the 14sq now races in the "under 15 foot" or "yardstick >84" division, which provides better racing as the fastest in the 14' cat division, rather than being left far behind the big cats.

The 14 sq is not being forgotten, but ignored in favour of more obvious choices; for speed thrills there is the A-class, Taipan or Mosquito. At the cheaper end, and easier to transport, rig up, and right after a capsize, there's Paper Tiger, Windrush and Maricat.

Thanks for all the comments.

I have noted that the 16sq is sailing in good numbers, but I was just a little worried about it's size and power. My reasoning for asking about the 14sq was that I felt it would be more manageable, but still very zippy.

I'm heading towards the half century in age, but am not in too bad nick. I want to have a good speedy craft under me, but I've never been a fan of bigger is better. Hate to be overboated.

Anyway I'll keep researching and test out the different craft.

Piggy, Word on the street is that the 14SQ is becoming popular around sailors who want a cat that is easily rigged solo.

We have 2 turned up this year with a possiblility of another 2 by the end of the season.

I'm considering buying one at the end of the year with a spinnaker fitted, they are apparently getting a refresh by briscat.

430 is an awesome boat and has sold exceptionally well given the current economic circumstances.

16SQ has always been a strong class like the 5.8, bullet proof and reliable.

14SQ is very much a niche boat, 430 is more of an all-rounder, really versatile machine.

Hi Cruiser, Just sent you a PM, Sorry for the delay

Richard

heya pigsy

forget the guessworkers - i actually own a 14sq and it's a great boat for up to about 75-80kg or older sailors (i'm 43)who want to be more on the side of casual/social racing. I have also sailed a 16sq and found it great too but couldn't really get the best out of it (in heavy air) due to lack of ballast. It's better upwind due to less pitching from it's longer waterline. Heavier (30kg) to rig and launch/retrieve and harder to right. That's a fact, Jack, or pig :D)

Archived