430 v 45

humungus2

Hi Mick, I've owned both.

I love them both but prefer the 14SQ. If you need line honours each week, get the 4.5 with the spinnaker.

If you want some great fun, get the 430 rocket. The jib is like a spare hanky, set and forget downwind.

I never really let the main off too much either, just got the spinnaker to work and the rest followed suit.

So from the 2, I'd prefer the 430 solo, just too much fun!!!!

To start off, I'm not the fastest on the water...

Not sailed a 430 but did sail a 4.5 with the optional kite for 18 months single handed. I was always faster supersloop without a kite during races. Only recreationaly for long runs at the coast (or two up) did I think the kite was worth it. Not seen the 430s launching and dousing system but if you had a Viper setup you should be faster getting it up and down.

I got the spinnaker kit with the mid-pole snuffer for my 430, it was up/down in a flash. I think it was on one of the above videos....

I got the same Kit for my 4.5, but I am presently lacking the enthusiasm to get up early, to drive the 100klms to Tinaroo to rig it up in time.

As a result, I can't comment on the 4.5 with a spinnaker, but it it anything like the 430, which i believe it is, it should launch/retrieve very quick indeed!!!!

What has everyone else got down your way Mick?

There is a 430 here at mano but he is reluctant to get a kite because of the cost. 2k. There are mostly 5.8 nacras and again no spinikers. It is a hard desition because I still want to compeate in the 14' regattas but I think the 45 would have better resale with a bigger market to sell to. 2 up and better bouancy for the bigger skipper. Hows the nose diving on the 430. It's got a reputation of doing that down here. Could it just be the skipper.

I don't know how the can nose dive the 430, it took over 200kgs on mine and both of us getting really forward to push it down, even then it was reluctant to go.

The 430 is a great boat with the kite, but I went for the 4.5 to try and keep up with the inter 17's. They get over-powered in anything over 12 knots when I'm still pushing.

I didn't have a hope in hell with the 430, unless they had some good reaches in the course.

You can't go wrong either way, but I think you'll have more fun on the 430 rocket.

I've also owned both a 4.5 and 430 - both without spinnaker - although spinnaker is currently being added to the 430. I haven't had any issue with nosediving - so it is definitely either his set up (mast rake) or skipper error! In terms of resale I think the 4.5 and the 430 would be similar. Your decision would should come down to how much you want to sail in 14 foot regattas, and also the all up crew weight. For me there were other considerations such as - 430 is narrower and fits into my garage where the 4.5 didn't. 430 is also smaller and lighter making it easier to right single handed.

In my ill informed opinion. The 430 seems to be an all or nothing boat when it comes to nose dives, your either going A over T or the bows aren't trying to dive. With a kite setup properly it should help the nose diving BUT thats only useful on a windward return.

The mast seems to be too far forward in the boat and as said above that jib is next to pointless (NS14's have a bigger jib...).

I can't say that it looks to be anything special. Its not blisteringly faster than a Windrush or Maricat (im still yet to see a really top notch sailor on one).

The Kite for 14ft sailing is pointless and just a good way to not be at the top of the yardsticks... I said it in another thread, the kite is only useful for windward/leward courses. You're not going to crack a kite on a normal reach, which means its generally only useful for 1 leg of the course (on a standard olympic triangle course).

Personally I think they could have designed it better but im not a naval architect just someone who has sailed 14ft cats for the last 18yrs.

I suppose it's not everyones cup of tea, but I can guarantee that the nose can bury a fair way whilst still making headway.

The jib helps, if only a little. I was ok on it, until Waz came up for Mayday and convincingly beat the hobie 16s' (mindyou, they weren't of Mal Grays' Calibre).

The 430 is what it is, a small versatile cat which has enough tramp space to be a social boat (compliments of the forward mast) or enough trick stuff to be a decent race boat.

The volume in the hulls allows you to take a decent load (if you sail socially) and in my videos there is somewhere between 100-200kgs on there, except when Devon and I got on it, it was well over 200 kgs!!!

I think it's really fun, but i understand it's not for everyone.

Your opinion is fairly well respected by me TornadoSport, I understand where you are coming from.

To put the comment about beating Hobie 16's into context.

My dad on a Windrush S/S beat all but 3 Hobie 16's around a course at the Forster Wildcat regatta one year. I was sailing a H16 at that time, it was a NSW states for the H16's with 30 odd boats including some past and present national/world champs. We went left, he went right. the 3 16's finished less than 3mins ahead of him, the rest of us were +5mins behind him...

To add further he started 5mins behind the Hobie 16's...

Given the right circumstances anything is possible. I've passed and sailed level peg (on a Windrush S/S) with the 5.8s and Taipan Cat rigs off the same start line for the first 2 legs of a course at Mannering park in 8-12knts before. I went right and got a lift along the bank, they went left and didnt get it. I was 2nd around the top mark and 3rd by the Wing mark in amongst a pack of 3-4 5.8s and 2 taipan cat rigs.

Could I do it regularly, no. Could dad do it regularly, no. But it did happen.

I suppose it's not everyones cup of tea, but I can guarantee that the nose can bury a fair way whilst still making headway.

The jib helps, if only a little. I was ok on it, until Waz came up for Mayday and convincingly beat the hobie 16s' (mindyou, they weren't of Mal Grays' Calibre).

The 430 is what it is, a small versatile cat which has enough tramp space to be a social boat (compliments of the forward mast) or enough trick stuff to be a decent race boat.

The volume in the hulls allows you to take a decent load (if you sail socially) and in my videos there is somewhere between 100-200kgs on there, except when Devon and I got on it, it was well over 200 kgs!!!I think it's really fun, but i understand it's not for everyone.

Your opinion is fairly well respected by me TornadoSport, I understand where you are coming from.

Scuse me ...should had said well over 200kg`s of brute muscle and good looks!

• 1 month later...

I own a 430 sports. #435. I can tell you it will nose dive if pushed hard enough. I've cartwheeled a couple of times down wind with my weight (80kg) sitting as far back as I can get.

Biggest regret was not buying the spinnaker kit at the time I bought it. Christmas present for next season.

Does anyone know if there is an official yardstick for the Nacra 430 sports (no spinnaker)? I am sailing off 88 (unofficial) which is about the same as a Hobie Turbo. I can consistently beat PT's and Hobie 14's around the course however, have trouble against Arrows.

Archived