BYRA Peter Loft marathon

Jethrow

Hi all

The BYRA Peter Loft Marathon, with a Le Mans start from Bayview (Sydney northern beaches) around Lion Island and back to BYRA, will be raced on Sunday 1st May. This is a fun day with some different sailing than the normal windward/leeward stuff, approximately 20km's for the long course, down one of the most picturesque waterways around. There will be a BBQ and prizegiving at the club afterwards. We are hoping to attract everything from 18' skiffs through Foiling moths and off the beach cats, Finns, Contenders, NS-14's and Spirals, right down to the kids in Optis and MJ's (on a shorter course) so it's a good chance for all classes to sort out the pecking order with handicap prizes on offer to sort everything out afterwards. NOR, entry form and more info is available at http://www.byra.org.au/events/peter_loft.php

Hope to see everyone there...

Jethrow

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys, it'll be good to see you all there. I've had special forewarning that the rain will be gone and it will be a lovely day (don't ask who told me, I promised not to say). There's a few "A's" coming and I hope some F-18's too. Should be a great day...

Jethrow

Hi Andrew thanks for that. I'm sailing the Beneteau Cup today so I'll be sailing past but well have to leave meeting until tomorrow. There has been some good multi responses on Sailing Anarchy as well so it should be a good turnout. See ya there...

Geoff

Yeah, I was looking for a mossie but have to put it on the back burner for a while, unless someone want's to give me one (like the Finn).

Another club I sail with did a trial run of the course today and a Farr 40 caught a HUGE breaking wave around the back of the island. Scared the s%#t out of them. I kinda hope it dies down a bit for tomorrow. See y'all there. Bring it on.

P.S. I told the handicapper the Nacra 430 rates 85 on Portsmouth. This is about right?

Just a quick reminder for those from Sydney that maybe interested in sailing cats on Pittwater that Palm Beach Sailing Club races every Saturday from August to April.

We welcome all classes and believe in involving the whole family, some of our programmes;

The Wave Program; provision of a fleet of Hobie Waves as training boats

The Bottom Gudgeon Challange for 14s to boost the 14 cats as an intermediate and introductory class

Hobie 16 One design fleet

A fully documented (and successful) training and development program

Fun laughs and great sailing...

See you on the Water

Andrew

Mean Machine 7691

I'd have to say that for an event that we only really promoted to the multi's on the web, it was a huge success. I also have to apologies to everyone for not attending. I was sick as a dog from Saturday night and I really didn't drink that much (bad prawn I think). Anyway, such a fabulous turnout, 18 boats registered. I watched some of the fleet sailing home after 90 minutes from my sick bed. Not bad for the 20km's or so race. I'm trying to attach the results but not really sure how to do it. Hopefully someone else can fill in the missing details of how the race went...

Jethrow

P.S. The club was real happy to have all the cats and the invitation and welcome has definitely been extended for next year, maybe with some better promo.

YACHT NAME CLASS HELMSMAN SAIL NO. VYS ELAPSED CORRECTED PLACE

Wildcat F18 R Waterhouse 214 69 85min 30s 123.91min 1

Feralcat F18 B White 276 69 95 06 137.83 3

? F18 G Bow 1082 69 96 30 139.86 4

Flying Fish F18 J Ogilvie Aus 10 69 98 32 142.80 7

Harken A Class G Pellew Aus 969 70.5 100 25 142.44 6

Magical F18 K Amadio 751 69 110 10 159.67 11

Mean Machine H 16 A Nelson 7691 82.5 112 30 136.36 2

Glen H16 J Colley 17255 82.5 117 00 141.82 5

Clingon H16 P Salter 110299 82.5 123 30 149.70 8

Irish Wrist watch H16 R Renove ? 111562 82.5 125 00 151.52 9

Hot Pepper W14 S/S P Pfeffer 6327 87.5 134 25 153.62 10

? H16 ? 110679 82.5 134 30 163.03 12

Rush W14 S/S M Pfeffer 6335 87.5 143 22 163.85 13

Dubblupp W14 R Steele 6357 91.0 150 00 164.84 14

Sand Point H16 J McCormick 110616 DNF

?(yellow hull) H16 M MoK ? DNF

Obsession A Class D Valenza Aus 794 DNF

Not bad for me considering i spent around 10mins upside down off barrenjoey. I got collected by a bullet that with all sails off just blew me over...

I was ahead of all but one Hobie 16 which I was on par with. The f18's cleared out with the long kite run down to the island.

A suggestion if I may, next year let the spinnaker cats have their own division and give the non spi cats a division. On a course like that with a southerly, no non spi cat had a chance in hell.

There is a possibility that this could become a end of season race for the 14ft cats as a bit of fun.

The results were awarded based on VYC Wildcat first, Hobie 16 (NO Spin) 2nd. As we will (Hopefully) be represented by one Multihull at the Olympics and we should therefore represent ourselves as one group to the general sailing community. What ever boat is chosen we should all support it! It will not change what most of us sail, but it is time to forget the tribalism and show a united front. We do that and we have a better chance of growing our fleets! ALL OUR FLEETS as we will be eating from a bigger pie.

Thanks

Andrew

That's because you are a skinny runt!

I noticed it obviously didn't happen to Warren or Rohan.

Sounds like a blast - can't wait to do it next year. Glad you think it would be a good way to finish a 14' travellers series - uniting and promoting all 14' cats - the proven breeding ground for Olympic multihull sailors!

Not bad for me considering i spent around 10mins upside down off barrenjoey. I got collected by a bullet that with all sails off just blew me over...

I was ahead of all but one Hobie 16 which I was on par with. The f18's cleared out with the long kite run down to the island.

A suggestion if I may, next year let the spinnaker cats have their own division and give the non spi cats a division. On a course like that with a southerly, no non spi cat had a chance in hell.

There is a possibility that this could become a end of season race for the 14ft cats as a bit of fun.

Hi All

Just a quick note. As this was something of a test event, we were just feeling the mood out there in multi world. I think everyone from the Commodore down thought it was a great success and with the numbers that came and maybe building some more for next year then multiple divisions wouldn't be a problem if that's what's wanted. The club is very accommodating with their flagship event. Maybe for next year I'll have to take on the rudder gudgeon challenge with Palmie and take on an ocean crossing :)

• 10 months later...

Hi Guys, me again.

I'm not as involved with the club as before but the wife still is and she's asked me to get the word out that the Marathon is on again this year. I hope to have a NOR soon and will post it when I get it. Sunday May 6th with a noon start is all I have at the moment.

Thanks

Geoff

• 1 month later...

Archived