New Maricat Owner

Captain Cosmo

Hi all, i have just picked up a cheap Mari to sail around the local lake down here (Wallaga Lake) and do a few club races a at Wallagoot a little further south. I havnt been on a cat for a few years after sailing yachts and starting a family. The last cat i had was a Nacra 5.8 so the Mari is a little smaller but i'm sure will be just as much fun. Looking forward to sailing the little girl and getting in and out myself which isnt possible with the larger boats. Will spend a few dollars getting her race ready and competetive over the next 12 months and hopefully atend a few regattas next season.

Happy sailing

Captain Cosmo

Welcome to the group. Hope you have a ball! I did the same and would suggest that you check the dolphin striker cable - replace if in any doubt, apparently if they go the boat folds up like a sandwich maker! (with the loss of both beams). I've just changed mine, used RF614 shackles. Anything else fails then its just a paddle back to the beach!

Looking forward to seeing this cat in action, December 10-11 when the Wallagoot Lake Boat Club goes to Wallaga. We'll be camping at the caravan park on the shores of the lake, have a briefing there about 12pm saturday, and have some kind of race. All welcome, very informal, no liability taken, just good fun!

Pending approval at this weekend's meeting, a promo flier may be available soon.

zed; a marine shop or chandlery should be able to make you up the wire. Maybe this one: http://www.stonescornermarine.com.au/

post-22871-13776299430844_thumb.jpg

Thanks, i'll be on the water that weekend for sure. Im just around the corner in the next bay at Beauty Point. How many Mari's use a vang? I have seen some with and some without. I havnt rigged the boat yet but am sure there is no vang on it. On my 5.8 we maintained leech tension through the main sheet while controlling twist with downhaul and traveller. Do the Mari's benefit fron a vang? Also what sort of angles do the 14 foot cats sail off the wind? The 5.8 always had the apparant wind on the beam and with crew doing the wildthing we could fly a hull running almost square. Is it better to run low and flat on the smaller cats or chase the apparant wind and try to fly a hull downwind???

Zed, vang is waste of time on cat rigged Mari, on the runs just sail dead downwind unless it's blowing 15 plus. In ultra light weather the main will tend to fall to the centre of the boat because of the mast rake, I use a bit of 8mm bungee attached to the vang fitting on the boom with a plastic hook on the other end which I hook to the outboard front beam mount hole. When not in use it hooks to the gooseneck out of the way.

my thoughts on the vang are that they are useful. I put mine on if I remember and if I have time but none of the hotshot sailers do. I think that downwind (when the traveller serves no use in holding the boom down) they are useful when a gust hits, the vang prevents the leech from bending and absorbing the gust and you move faster - also when gybing the boom stays down and the gybe is neater. Still these are things I've noticed from the back of the fleet. You mustn't tension it too much as it'll stop the mast from rotating and it'll get in the way of the downhaul.

KO

I find the vang useful although all the gun sailers don't use them. Off the wind when the traveller stops being useful it helps keep the boom down and catches the gusts. Also useful to put a boot on to hold the boom out and makes gybes neater. Important to make sure its not too hard on as it stops the mast from rotating, also it'll hinder the downhaul. I often think it gives me a boost - from further back to not so far back!

Had the Mari on the water yesterday in a nice 15-18 kn nor easter and it was a blast. All rigging and running gear works well and the boat was very easy to rig. The boat is cat rigged and pointed much higher then i thought was possible for a non centreboard cat. While the little 14's might be a little sluggish to windward it was still very responsive and fast reaching and off the wind. Hiking hard over the rear beam with the leeward bow dipping under while reaching the boat still felt incontrol (although at times there was not much rudder in water) and very easy to de-power and power up.

I dont have a vang rigged and after sailing think that i'll leave it off. Thanks Darcy for the idea about the elastic chord to hold the boom out. That will be going on this weekend.

007, i'm in Eden for the weekend next week but should be back in time for a sail after lunch sunday.

Archived