After a 5.7 Taipan or maybe a 5.8 Nacra

Rollas

Both my Father and I have been sailing for a few years and he now wants something a little quicker and powerful.

If anyone has anything they are thinking of selling let me know by email at shane.rollas@sybiz.com

We are not after the latest or greatest so let me know what you have and we may be able to work something out.

We are based in Adelaide.

Cheers!

If you are going to commit to sailing the boat with the main sail hard on flat out and never take your mind off the job, and you can find one a 5.7 is a magnificent boat. If you sail in an area where 20 knots is a regular occurance and you want to relax a bit the 5.8 will fit the bill. At club level I am just as competative now on my 5.8 as I was last year on my 5.7

Boats regulary on the water in SA are

Lots of Nacra's and former Nacra 5.8 champions race regulary at Adelaide sailing club mainly on Infusion's and they don't hesitate to help you, theres another 5.8 sailing in Adelaide somewhere, 1 at Goolwa, 2 at Kingston SE and 1 at Robe

Two Taipan 5.7's sail at Milang, 1 at Meningie 3 at Kingston SE. There are heaps of 5.7's in Victoria

The Nacra sailors are travellers visiting other clubs not so much the Taipan 5.7's which was the main reason I swapped boats, Nacra held their Nationals in Adelaide this year, a boat at our club had to wait 5 months for a Taipan 5.7 mast and new sail so missed the rest of the season when he broke his mast while 5.8 parts are sitting in Qld waiting on a call from your insurance company if you have a problem. Make sure your insured both boats cost heaps for masts etc, Boyer destroyed the moulds for the 5.7 so if you break a hull your boat is dead while they still make new 5.8's both boats are competative in their class no matter what the hull number, the 5.8 that came second at the Nationals this year was the oldest number 712, while mine was the second oldest at 1626 .

Doesn't matter which one you buy you will love it they're both fantastic boats to sail, the 5.7 is super responsive if you think you want to tack you probably already have, the 5.8 gives you a bit more time to get accross the tramp

We will be at Milang for the distance race Sunday morning, if you have time why don't you come down and check out the boats there will be 5.8's and 5.7's, if your around at the end of the race I will probably have the energy to take you for a blast on my 5.8, looks like it will be 20 knots for the 50km race so should be back fairly early. Might be able to organise a blast on a 5.7 as well, you'll find that South Aus 5.8 and 5.7 sailors race and drink together doesn't matter what you get you will have a great time with us socially

• 2 weeks later...

The Nacra 5.8 that Bruce P has advertised a few lines below this thread is a great boat with spin kit as well, it's a light weight ex national championship winning boat so well worth a look at. I don't think you will find a good Taipan 5.7 for much less than that price. Bruce spent a lot of time with me at the Nationals tuning my boat and giving advice so I know he will help you with the boat as well.

Archived