GRP Maris Nats/Foam Maris Nats, Carcoar.

darcy1945

Not necessarily, depends on the circumstances. Darcy usually goes well over 20knots but so does Mick. I've beaten Mick and Phil on their foamies in my old plastic in light, fickle winds. No, I THRASHED them, even caught up with a Nacra 5.8 and a Taipan 4.9 that had started 5mins earlier - but I think I only had to tack twice in that race! Jason used to beat everyone in his #16 boat.

Darcy at these Nats it was clearly shown that it is about how well you sail not whether your boat is foam or not. I am sick of hearng excuses about not attending events because your boat is not foam. My foam boat gets waves going over the front beam just as much as my non foam boat. Rob from Concord sailed his old GRP boat exceptionally well and finished 2nd overall with 3 foam boats behind him, including myself. Enough of the bullshit. get out there and sail well and you will win. Time after time at this regatta it was shown that a well sailed old boat could compete. even Tim from ACT sailing with an old coloured sail whipped our arses in the last race and made michael work his butt off to keep a small lead. The standard of sailing at this regatta was excellent and the regatta itself was great fun. 10 supersloops mixing it up. fantastic!!!!

Mark

Archived