More Mast Problems

exhogger

The mast of my 4.0s Mari is bent !

Using a string line it is bent laterally by 35mm at mid length. With the sail raised and pulling on the downhaul it bends further. While sailing the mast doesn't rotate when the boom goes over.

How do I straighten it, or am I in trouble ?

they are bendy!

on my 4.3 it is straight when the mast is lying on the ground and when first raised with no real tension on the stays.

the foot of the mast in the mast step can move easily from stop to stop.

with the Eastwind sail as I raise it the mast bends (and the more battens that go into the track the more bend I get) - this means that when up there is a bend.

when I attach the downhaul and mainsheet - pulling on the downhaul creates more bend and pulling on the mainsheet creates more bend still. with both pulled in tight the mast is bent and the sail is quite flat.

Yes KOJ, I have seen from you experienced sailors on this forum that mast bend is desirable but in the fore and aft plane and I assume that is what you are talking about. Mine has a sideways bend and it has it when it is lying on the ground !.

I have seen on youtube some guys straightening masts by raising one end then just applying force in the middle to fix the prob. Whether this is the way to go with the Mari mast I'm not sure.

Hey hogger

I have to straighten my mast about every second time I sail, luckily where I sail has a mast straightening set up. Its called a tree with branches or 2 trees growing close together or some fence posts. Put your mast between them and pull the end (I normally pull the top) sideways to straighten, sight your mast down the track and adjust as necessary. You need to put the apex of the bend against the limb/trunk closest to you, if you need, use towels or cushions to protect your mast against the tree/fence post. After you have pulled and sighted make sure that you lay the mast both ways to check it for straight, as it will sag both ways, you need to get equal sag in both directions. Do not overdo the mast pulling they will bend suprisingly easily.

Have fun

Phil

The bend in the mast is uniform from one end to the other. There is no kink or bend at any particular point.

I am nearly 300k's from the nearest sand dune but I get the idea about pressure at one point possibly causing a kink.

All advice is greatfully recieved.

Ross

Jobs done!

Geez it bends a long way. The end had to be pulled down 4 -5 feet !

Don't laugh but to get enough travel I had to put one end, padded of course, under the 4WD chassis rail, and used the 4th step of a folding ladder as the fulcrum, again padded. Using the MK1 eyeball straightened it bit by bit, no kinks.

Thanks to all.

Archived