How good is a nacra 5.0

CarlB

I'm considering buying a 5.0. I want to mainly club race it 1 up but I need a low cost boat for social sailing also and that won't scare the wife or daughter (as the Taipan 5.7 did). I know it will be no 5.7 but I am concerned it will have no performance feel at all. I don't mind it being slower but do they point really badly and are they too heavy to handle for one (on rollers) on the ramp? Does the spinnaker kit lift reaching performance? I am really searching for a 16 footer all rounder to sail in 15 to 20 knot winds and shallow water (which I know will be a compromise). My cat history is arrows, mossie and the 5.7 and I am 100kgs. Any advice gladly accepted. PS the nacra site says I'd be crazy not to buy one.

Thanks Sam,

I am looking seriously at the 4.9 (my preferred option actually), as there is a nice one in Hervey bay I am eyeing-off. Will a 180kg combined crew weight hurt the boat for social or club sailing. ie sink it/nose dives/ etc. I would run a spinnaker when possible. Also the 4.9s are higher priced closer to the $8 -10 k mark. I am 50/50 at present. Would love to hear from anyone who has sailed a 5.0 and a 16sq or taipan or similar. Aahhh decisions!

I sail a 16sq which is designed for 1 up and does have that performance feel you are after without being too much of a handful. I am completely new to sailing and was able to sail this around a course the first time I went out on it. I also take friends and kids out on it which it handles no problem. Usually I put the passenger on trap if enough wind. Only issue can be the sweeper sail as it makes tacking with 2 or more people more difficult, but the new flat head sail is not a sweeper. I also have an extra pin head sail with the sweeper professionally removed which is better for social sailing. I recommend it if you mainly want to race 1 up. Can rig it and move it around no probs on your own with the right sequence. Lots around to race against as well.

180kg crew weight is properly your main concern. way too heavy for a T 4.9 and properly also a N 5.0. you need to look at what you want to sail one up, then just be perpared to have a boat that will not sail very well when you are two up. with 180 kg 2 up you would need a T5.7, N 5.8 or a an F18. none of those boats can be sailed one up though.

• 1 month later...

G'day Carl if you get serious about a good Nacra 5 with spin PM me and I will give you a lead on one thats not officially on the market. Nacra 5.8 is heavier than the 5.7 on the beach but much more settled on the water (wouldn't scare your wife as much) especially if you got an older one with the smaller jib

Sorry it's been sold, it wasn't mine I've never sailed on a 5, I just knew someone that's looking to upsize. I had a Taipan 5.7 and changed to a 5.8 last year both wonderfull boats, bit more time to think on a 5.8 which settles nervy wifes down. Taipan 4.9 wont settle your wife down Carl if she thought the 5.7 was twitchy, my wife fell of my mates 4.9 twice in 20 minutes when she crewed for him and she was used to the 5.7

Another boat which would suit your purpose is the Hobie 18, $2k/ $6k, good ones are hard to find but they sail well, will carry 3,4 adults, with the big furling jib can be sailed 1 up at 100kg, soft spots on decks, corrosion on spars and siezed dolphin striker rod are some things to watch for, seek advice if you find 1 to inspect.

Archived