Fix up tips for my new (old) Prindle 16...

Jayboy

Hey all,

I have just bought a Prindle 16 for a steel. So stoked to be getting back on the water but trying to keep the refurb costs to a minimum for the first summer season of sailing.

The main thing is it was left in the weather for the past year or so and the trampoline has deteriorated a little. I can take it into work and re-stitch it but when you rub your han on it it leaves a black residue on me.

Is there anything or product that will recondition the tramp surface?

I'll be back soon for some more advice but this is the first item on my list.

Cheers

Jay

it sounds like you have a black polypropylene trampoline, which is breaking down after exposure to UV light. The polymer bonds are failing, releasing particles as black stuff on your hands. The degradation makes the material weaker, and prone to splitting and ripping.

Once it gets like that, it can only deteriorate further. Even the more durable polyester tramps fail eventually, and once they start to split, it requires constant patching to try and hold it together.

A new tramp is definitely required. Probably cost a few hundred $.

If you just want to get a bit more life out of it, take the tramp off, turn it over and put it on the other way up after you've restitched the hiking straps to the other side, you'll probably find the under side is like brand new to look at but the whole thing really needs replacing. Another option if you've got access to a commercial sewing machine is getting hold of someone's old tramp of a bigger boat that has worn near the bolt rope and restitching bolt ropes to suit your narrower boat.

post-21194-13776299696713_thumb.jpg

post-21194-13776299697424_thumb.jpg

Cheers guys. I know it's going to have to be replaced in the near future but just whilst I'm getting it all set up / fixed up and give it a few runs by the end of the year it will have to do.

I like the idea of flipping it, you are right, it is perfect on the underside.

Thanks

Jay

The motor trimmer next door makes v/good tramps for around $250 plus postage $15-20 (would need dimensions or old tramp for pattern) a good scrub usually takes care of the black surface' date=' 02 43591729[/quote']

Cheers mate. I'll keep that in the favourites.

I took it to a car wash the other day and tried to hit with a gernie but no good.

I'll look at giving at a scrub this weekend.

Cheers

Jay

• 1 year later...

Heya - I did up a prindle 16' from garden art to sailable a few years ago - quite a good boat and much better than hobie 16'. I scrubbed the tramp with carwash and got it restitched - It never ripped. Who cares if you get a bit dirty - boat was free!

Biggest issue I had with the restoration is that the original and worn rudder hold down system is absolute garbage - I removed all its associated parts and changed it to a simple rope downhaul system similar to a Nacra and put a $3 sewerage pipe O-ring in it in case of grounding. I drilled a hole through the rudder in a suitable position and put a piece of conduit in the hole to then attach the control line.

If you don't attend to this and ensure that rudders stay locked all the way down while underway you will get bad weather helm which will get worse the faster you go! From memory I think I also bent the tiller arms in and shortened the crossbar to give some 'ackerman'  but this is not essential. 
Cheers

Archived