sailed before but new to cats - needs advice

hills

Hi all

I've crewed on larger yachts and I have a class 5 landyacht, but I've now bought a Calypso 14" to try and get my sons into sailing. I took a vid of it after we rigged it for the first time here if you're interested:

My noobie question is :confused:... There is a gap between the bridle and the fore stay, which the last owner just used rope to connect, which I know is fine, but I'm a bit worried after a days sailing and cold hands it might be a bit hard to undo and I wasn't able to tension it all that well.

So I would like your advice on replacing it with either

1. a turn buckle and stay adjuster and small length of wire rope and a snap hook...

or

2. a double pulley, rope and a trapeze cleat.

The local marine store said the trapeze cleat should be up to the task, but its not really what its designed for and recommended the first option. So are either of these stupid ideas or is there a better solution?

Cheers

Phil

Thanks CTMD, yes I suspect its replacing everything needed for a jib as this model originally came with one. I have the price list from Ross Clark to replace it, but I'd like to do one of the options above in the interim. Looks like option 1 is the way to go then. :)

Cheers

Phil

A lot of cats need that bit of rope as the tensioner, it's a very simple no fuss system that always works, just tie a bow line knot to the bridal ring (the connector from the hulls that is on the bridal wires) then make sure the rope is long enough to go through the forestay and bridal ring 2 or 3 times (make sure to keep the loops neat so none of the loops cross over another rope and pinch it) then pull tight you will find the mechanical advantage lets you pull it up nice and tight. Finish of with a pile of half hitches around all of the ropes then tuck your last bit of the rope through some of the tight loops to the forestay. The more loops you can do the less strain on the knots the easier to undo. You can trust those knots to stay tied and undo easily. Make sure your rope is proper sailing rope you will need less than a metre so if you go to a sailing shop just ask for 1 metre of 5mm non stretch rope to connect your forestay and they will supply non stretch esy to undo rope for about $5.00, if the rope stretches it will bind at the knots. Don't do the trapeze cleat it can slip and you would drop your rig. That rope is also yery handy for rigging the mast as you can tie it loose enough to put your mast up solo so that it holds the mast up as you step it then you just tighten it up.

Thanks very much guys. I'll do that madboutcats, the rope I got the rope from a marine store and told them what I was using it for but didn't mention non stretch so hopefully its fit for purpose. If I go past again I'll specify non stretch.

Thanks Darcy, yep that would be a much better option! :)

Archived