Cat rigged Windy

Gazereth78

Doc Snapid, if you set the trap wire up so that there is a little bit of support on your body mass when you're just sitting on the tramp whilst hooked in then the trap wire length is about right.

So. Hang your ass over the side whilst reaching, grab the trap handle, push out with front leg kinda like a grasshopper, note i crank the main on a tad as heaving my old carcass out too. As you progress you kinda do a little double hop dance and you're out there. Proactice makes perfect. Each to their own.

You'll dig it, it's great to watch the boat sailing itself along being without you on it!!

Weight distribution is important; find it's comfortable to have your rear foot under the rudder posts and resting on the hatch cover when fanging it. See if you can hang the jib sheet off the trap handle maybe or even aside the stay being for easy access (bend the knees to come in and adjust). You'll need to dump the jib in a hurry if you nosedive albeit dumping the main should get you out of trouble most times.

Soon you'll be flinging yourself out comfortably with merry abandon. Hope the wind picks up for you soon in your locale. Suggested to check the trapeeze fittings are in good nick most especially the pop rivets.

Coming in off the wire just bend knees and let main off a bit and grab the trap handle if need be to swing back into deck.

Fling the rudders to leeward, away from you, put body mass near stays, leave main on, as jib backs let main off a tad and hook into trap, put jib sheet on hard, fling yourself back out on the wire as cranking main on. Note it's important to make sure that you've engaged the trap dogbone into your trap harness...

It's my understanding that super sloop refers to where the trapeeze wires are mounted aloft the forestay tangs a coupla inches on a seperate fitting, and, there's a little pully arrangement fitted to the sidestays to feed the bungee cord through.

Watch out for the trapeeze dogbone flapping about. it has been known to knock teeth out. A good mod is to anchor the loose end with a tad of bungee too.

Incidentally try to keep your forward leg bent at the knee when you're out there as it acts as a shock absorber and saves you being flung around the maypole..... Some guys twist the trapeeze hook in their harness fitting as it gives you a better angle of attack and faces your body position better into sailing comfortably properly like, and, your body should be out at approx ninety degrees on the wire to boat with the windward hull just kissing the water for the best speed, note you can hear the hull just kissing the water if you listen carefully, wow you're in the groove now man

good luck

have fun

A good way to have the jib sheet at hand when on trapeze is to extend the shock cord about thirty centimetres beyond where it connects to you trap wire, and tie a o ring to it. When you feed your jib sheet though the eye cleat then feed it through the o ring. In this way as you go out on trap the jib sheet follows you out and you don't have to reach in to grab it.

Groove Thing 6308

Ta! Gonna try that one. Assuming a single looped sheet passing through a ring each side?

A good way to have the jib sheet at hand when on trapeze is to extend the shock cord about thirty centimetres beyond where it connects to you trap wire, and tie a o ring to it. When you feed your jib sheet though the eye cleat then feed it through the o ring. In this way as you go out on trap the jib sheet follows you out and you don't have to reach in to grab it.

Groove Thing 6308

Wow guys some awesomely helpful stuff there! Thanks!My trapeze mounts to the same place as the shrouds... The hounds? I'll take a look to make sure it looks strong

Do you guys run endless jib sheet? So from jib back thru both jib cleats then back out to the jib? If so... How will it reach the trapeze... Mine would be way out of reach single handed... And besides I dunno how I'm gonna hold the main and tiller and jib! I was gonna just set and forget the jib at the start of the tack...

I'm sorry my lack of experience is showing

The bungee runs from the trapeze handle to the hull. My boat isn't a windy... It doesn't run under the tramp like I've seen on hobies and I guess you guys would.

So I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding where you mean to hook the jib sheet, or if this option just won't work for me with my setup.

Gents

sure we're maybe entering into the twilight zone soon...

i luv sailing off into the sunset, don't you?

not sure if my interpretation of super sloop rig is correct, so someone please correct me ta

the trap wires are usually off the stays bracket but were then added later aloft for better angle of incidence? thus from sloop to super? and from telephone box to swishing cape?

errata - ahaa - checked the official w14 site

sloop = main / jib, skipper and 1 crew

super sloop =- main / jib, skipper and trapeeze

note that you can run a bungee cord across top of tramp for trap wires - just put some little pulleys off base of stays

alas, you can burn some holes in your tramp with a soldering iron, that is, to get the bungee cord under - or punch a coupla grommetts - less clutter

as sando says leave about a foot of extra bungee cord on the trap bungee cord, on each end

burn end off with ciggy lighter to stop unravelling - smoked better in me time 'though

then tie off some s/s rings or "D" ends

then feed your endless jib sheet through this bit of extra ringed bungee, it will later seen to come in very handy.. yep as we've noted, "he touched nothing without adorning it"

Again, thank you.

you really need to have jib sheet endless as earlier described - being tied off to the forward beam via a coupla holes punched or burnt in tramp about a foot either side of the stick (mast), shackle 2 smallish pulleys at jib corner (clew) and then back through cleat and the eye of jib car across to other side, repeat ie run sheet through other pulley back to boat

yo, a good length for you endless jib sheet is such that it will tie off reasonably taut on the forestay bridle (assuming you're running a single forestay and not twin forestays) at the jib double pulleys with the sheet running tight from one jib car to the other

a picture tells a thousand words

well, now, as you'll appreciate when sailing along to best effect one needs to adjust the jib via tell tails on different points of sail, and, being on and off the wire

however main jib adjustment on windy is the sliding jib car - usually fixed

so we adjust our point of sailing by shifting our weight, or adjusting the rudders, linked to the brainbox and the tiller, or letting the sails in or out a tad and then often observing the tell tails affixed to sails or feeling any changes by feel in the boat's motion (tell tales can lie)

oftentime when straining for the mark or whatever we're also dependent on shifts and gusts - knocks and lifts - this is where feel it is important to learn by time on the water

and, most importantly, this is where it is really important to be be able to get to the jib sheet quickly and easily (without having to swing in off the wire, grovel around for it and maybe risk taking a swim when out in front)

[note regretably we've no barber haulers on our windys for downwind to hold the jib out but you can cheat and tether the jib to the stays if nobody is looking]

hey anyway it is suggested one could ask the guys at the bar with the nice big shiny teeth as white as snow for more clarification (they get their rather nice fangs from hanging onto the main and jib sheets with their teeth where as is often time necessarily! and, as one might say, sometimes these are the blokes perceived out on the wire stans pede in uno (L.), standing on one foot

may also worth asking them (that's the legless drunken ones) about the sailors' holy of holies

-- da, da, da, dah --

[be aware, please, that life will now never be the same for you .....]

THE SLOT

:confused:

Archived