Old horizontal sail cut down for storm use?

NACRAJON

Last two weekends have seen fierce weather on LBG. Ave 20kt with 35kt gusts and it has been a matter of survival for the cats (with one carbon mast breaking in half from a gust).

I’m thinking about getting my old horizontal cut mainsail and jib cut down in size for days like these, with a short extension for the halyard. It would still be a wild ride but far more controllable and I think I would be more likely to take out the points. Can it be done cheaply?

The Tasar mono has a "S-Rig" that they use for learners or really light crew. All they do is cut a foot off the leech and taper it up to the top out of an old main sail. Meaning the sail is still the same height but cut in depth. This made them just as fast up wind in 18+knots but not quite down wind. It also took a lot of severity out the jybe.

I have wondered about this for my cat.

Even though the Nacra is boomless you can still do a reef, you just wont have the options for mainsheet attachment (single clue at reef point), the other thing you will have to do is attach a sail slug to the top of the bolt rope/headboard (if there is not one already fitted), to stop the bolt rope pulling out of the track.

Archived