Replacement battens for Hobie 14

xnomad

Hi,

Anyone know where you can get decent battens for a Hobie 14, preferably somewhere in Sydney?

I checked the official Hobie store and as usual the price is far too high.

Doing a Google search I've only found 1 outfit (Permex, I've sent them an email) that even sell battens. Where do all the yachties and that get theirs?

Thanks guys,

My local sail maker couldn't help me. They said to try Hobie :-D

Permex needed the dimensions. I'd have thought that sometime in history someone else would have had an H-14 order for them by now..... but no.

Hobie want $290 for a set. That outfit in Austria (fibrefoam) would cost more than that plus the shipping.

My Father-in-law reckons there's a place in Brookvale that do all sorts of battens, I'll try them tomorrow but I reckon they won't have Cat battens as they are much wider than the norm.

My Father-in-law has a Sydney 36' racing yacht and the Hobie battens are wider than his.

I'll try to dig up the dimensions and get a quote from Permex if the Brookvale outfit isn't any good.

I don't want to take business away from Scotty but Fibrefoams are way too high tech for the old Hobie 14. Just get some fibreglass rod and make them yourself. File a flat on each end to put the ends whci you can buy at a sailmaker or chandlery. Cost you bugger all. You could even taper them a bit if you wanted but probably not critical on a sail like that.

• 3 weeks later...

Originally posted by xnomad:

Hi,

Anyone know where you can get decent battens for a Hobie 14, preferably somewhere in Sydney?

I checked the official Hobie store and as usual the price is far too high.

Doing a Google search I've only found 1 outfit (Permex, I've sent them an email) that even sell battens. Where do all the yachties and that get theirs?

Please email me with the number and lengths of battens required. Some H14s have 5 battens and newer sails have 6. I have H14 sets of battens.

Archived