Looking for an Arrow

zebedy

Hi zebedy,

Yes the Arrow has had a sail upgrade - same sail area but reduced boom length to sheet directly off the clew and a square top now a much more controllable sail with no loss in performance. Photos from the recent nationals at

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bw5frPV9W0wuV0JsV2xPZDhXaWM&usp=sharing

As noted above post your location and the relevant State Association can be in contact re available boats.

Agree with your first 2 points darcy apperance and appeal has increased. A few things happened with the new sail. After the trial of 3 sails at the 2011/12 nationals almost the entire fleet changed over to the new sails for the 2012/13 series. The big point is that where even our national champions were sailing with 12 year old sails all of the sudden everyone had new sails. Together with Chris Cairns there are a couple of excellent young sailmakers producing sails.

This has had a bigger effect on the Arrow performance than the change to the sail itself.

Zebedy

I sail an hour up t.he road at Grafton on an Arrow. I am planning an upgrade so my boat is available with Landenberger square top and lots of extras. The hulls have seen some work ( national titles numerous times) but still minimum weight and a sponge full after sailing. The Arrows are a great class and on the increase since the sail upgrade. Find me on Facebook and send me a message. More than happy to get you into an Arrow somehow. Cheers Tony Rose

Hi Guys, I have tacked this on here because I see some arrow sailors.

I'm very new to the forum, I sailed mozie's a long time ago :) well up to mid "90's"

I just bought Arrow 1616 (foam sandwich) down here on Kangaroo Island and am wondering if anyone can shed any light on it's history?

Also wondering what plan number the Arrow's are up to at present?

Can someone tell me more about the square top sails?, benefits and otherwise?

An What does a new sq top cost? Are there any used ones around?

If not although I got with it a well worn but serviceable pointy top, are any other reasonable one's available? and if so, what's one of them worth?

Happy sails to you:)

Fibreglass and composites were allowed from the late 80's. Initially this was fairly restricted with the association only allowing boats built by registered builders. This has been relaxed to allow these alternatives as long as the restrictions (dimensions, weight and internal frames) are complied with.

1616 would have been built in the late 80's. Couldn't be certain of the builder - Graeme Bunney from Queensland built quite a few boats about this time but there were other builders in the Southern States as well.

1605 is another foam boat still sailing in Queensland.

Square top sails are great - see comments above. Might not be too many second hand ones yet as they have only been in for a couple of seasons. See http://arrowarafura.com/contacts/ for contacts SA assoc may be able to let you know if there are any sails around near you.

If you chase up Steve Rogers at Normanville he will be able to fill you in on what sails are available in SA and who used to sail Arrows on KI, Warwick Graham is the SA secretary and will be a great resource, if you join the Arrow association you will get a monthly newsletter on whats happening and be kept in the loop, they mostly sail their States etc pretty close to KI

• 2 weeks later...

Archived