Hobie 14. Help needed in rigging

NevilleT

I posted a few questions on Seabreeze but someone suggested I should post the questions here.  This is just a cut and paste from Seabreeze, but I would appreciate any help I can get.

I just bought a Hobie 14 which I think is a Turbo from looking on the Internet. It has a furling jib. I plan to rig and sail it on my own. I have a number of issues I could use some help with.

When I first went to put up the mast, I thought a pin went through the mast end fitting and the mast step. There was no pin with the boat so I bought one. When I raised the mast, the pin broke the mast end fitting (see image). Looking at the step, it appears it has also been broken in the past as the holes have an opening as though a pin has pulled through the fitting. After much searching on the Internet, I found a mast step kit which is probably what I should have used. I could use some guidance as to how you raise the mast without the pin??? and should I be using a mast step kit. Also where can I buy Hobie bits around Sydney.

The next question is about the jib. Looking at an online store they have a turbo kit with two pulleys on the clew. (http://www.hobiecat.com.au/pdf/sailing/e_turbojib.pdf) I just have a single jib sheet tied to the jib clew in the middle of the sheet. Can someone throw some light on jib sheeting?

On the kit, there is also a wire strop from the top of the jib to the mast. On my boat, there is no strop but a pulley on the mast. It looks like it is designed to use a rope halyard. Is this normal, or recommended?

Finally, for now, there is no boom vang. Is this recommended for fun sailing as opposed to racing? Help would be appreciated.

post-198094-0-82289600-1393124413_thumb.

Vang not used on cats with traveller, Mast raising easy on all 14s, without need for fittings and pins ( unless you are female 65kg or less) Strop/swivell required at top of jib, length determined by mast rake, H 14 requires a fair bit of rake to prevent pitchpoling in stronger conditions. Double purchase required on jib to hold jib block cleats in correct position. Ph 02 43591729.

Neville  -  around the corner in Lilyfield if you want to come and have a look at my set up. Mob 0411 441 023 [andrew]. Launch nearby too when i'm cat sailing on harbour.

You can lift mast straight up and in which you are gonna have to do now anyway judging by your pics of the busted bits.

http://www.hobiecat.com.au/pdf/sailing/e_h14manual.pdf  

stepping guide at link above  but there are better methods based on what is there.

Might have some  s/h bits and pieces willing to sell you if needed. Darcy in previous post probably would have some bits too.

To step the mast, sloop rigged, boat off the trailer, lay the mast on the ground, with the base under the front beam, connect all stays with the side stays at their longest setting, walk the mast up to vertical with the base on the ground directly below the step, lift the mast vertically and place in step, use trap wires to take tension while tightening side stays. With a severely raked mast it is easier with the bow of the boat down a slope (if available) or beach wheels under rear of boat so that mast is being lifted vertically when stays tighten.  Cat rigged boats with twin forestays are much easier. Any doubts or problems get in touch with Andrew or give me a call on 43591729.

Neville there are lots of DIY ways to raise your mast as I'm sure Andrew will show you.

However if money isn't an issue you can pickup 2nd hand mast base and mast base casting on ebay from the US.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hobie-Cat-14-Mast-Step-/271210514197?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item3f25680715

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hobie-Cat-14-mast-base-/271173690030?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item3f233622ae

Downside is you don't know the exact quality being 2nd hand and unsighted.

Alternatively you can buy these new here in OZ from Sunstate Hobie in Brisbane or SLHobie in Victoria.

I saw the H14 mast base casting today at Sunstate for $45?????

Just call 54937620 and speak with Mal or Trish. There shipping/postage charges are very reasonable. Oh and be sure to get yourself a new mast stepping kit.

Thanks all.  Spoke for about half an hour with Trish at Sunstate Hobie, and now have the parts. I will give you a call Andrew and arrange a time to drop around to have a look at a few things on your cat.  I do seem to be on the right track now so hopefully will be sailing soon.

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem.  When I lived in Australia (1967-2003) I did have a Hobie 14 which I sailed regularly in Port Phillip, Sydney Harbor and between Adelaide and Sydney.  At that time i had some helpers with raising the mast.  I raised it and somebody else secured the required lines.  Now I am 70 and I live in Europe and sail H-14 in Adriatic sea.  Great boat, great water.  Alas the new design with the pin did not work well.  I busted the lip through which the pin should go.  So now I am raising the mast by myself and let me describe how.  As the mast is not secured with the pin  I created and alternative approach.  Approximately 1 foot (30 cms) above the bottom of the mast I drilled a hole through which I fitted a longer bolt.  The bolt is now protruding on the left and right side of the mast by some 2 inches.  I place the mast onto the mast seat and tie it down with one single strap.  The mast thus secured I proceed to raise the mast by hand to about 7 feet of the ground.  I lift it with the help of two planks joined together as scissors.  When i reached the maximum that I can reach i go to the winch fitted to the front of the trailer and start winching the mast upwards into vertical position.  When upright I secure the main forward mast cable line to the front and tighten.  I always check the actual rake of the mast.  I like it angled aft so the boat does not nosedive so much.  And I am ready.  The fact that there is a safety strap around the bottom of the mast it does not stop swiweling of the mast as required.  It only stops the mast from jumping out of the socket...Hope this was help full and good sailing....  

Archived