Mannering Park 14' Cat Regatta 11/12 Oct

darcy1945

The "Mari boys" have not modified any yardsticks, nor are the "Mari boys" able too.  Yardsticks are set by the body that owns/controls them and no-one else (ie koonawarra sets their yardsticks themselves and there's nothing you or I can do to change them).  Mannering Park Sailing Club may use a modified version of yardsticks for their regatta, but seeing as its their regatta, they can do as they please and the Maricat Assoc, the Paper Tiger Assoc, Arrows Assoc or Windrushes have no bearing on what Mannerings yardstick application is. 

Example is a few years ago I dieted and exercised with a vengeance to get my weight under 86kg, and I did achieve my goal, but when I went to register for the regatta I found if you weighed over 90KG you were given a 1 or 2 minute time advantage over the lightweight boys.  So much for dieting before a regatta anymore!

Manno with their handicapping system does their best to give everyone a fair go at winning a trophy or a place, and the system that is used is meant to encourage some of  the older boats to come out, maybe some of the older or more unfit sailors or more inexperieanced or younger sailors to have a go.  I know that having a newish foam sandwich Mari with newish sails and sailing super sloop does not do me any favours when sailing in the 14 foot regatta, but I still enter and sail regardless.

Its not all about winning, its about having a go.

Phil

President NSW/ACT Maricat Assoc

get the NOR and you'll see what they're up to.  bad things like spade rudders get a guernsey and as Phil indicates you'll not be disadvantaged if you carry a pound or two from the last few xmasses. if you have an old  rubber Windy too you'll get a blip.

again as the good Mr President says, isn't likely to change the overall position but it makes the game more inclusive.

turn up with your old Windy or resort Mari and enjoy a bit of inclusive racing.

Best racing regatta for 14ft cats, with or without yardstick. Nothing in it between the 4 main classes. See all of you in a couple of weeks. Pity it is on Bathurst weekend though!

Gary.

Arrow Catamarans.

• 3 weeks later...

5 days to go, time for last minute checks. Replaced your side stay to gunnel saddle bolts recently? mine let go in 20 kts last w/end,

spoke to the local Mari dealer (Mick) about the problem, answer is that all 3/16" bolts have been replaced by 1/4" bolts and saddles.

SO,for $5, replace your 3/16" Mk1 and Mk2 bolts with 1/4" to avoid DNF and or damage. 

So far we have we have the guns in the P/T, Mari S/S and Cat Rig,

Haven't heard from the Arrow or Windrush classes but assume they will be out in strength,

Also nothing from the Nacra 430s, the Trimarans or any 4.6m boats.

Best racing regatta for 14ft cats, with or without yardstick. Nothing in it between the 4 main classes. See all of you in a couple of weeks. Pity it is on Bathurst weekend though!

Gary.

Arrow Catamarans.

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:38 PM

Arrows already booked our usual abode on the other side of the caravan park.

The Arrows look like they are already in Darcy

Really great to see you there James, just one thing though can you lose the hi vis pullover when the marks are the same colour as your pullover, it was a case of" yep there's the mark, nope the mark seems to be moving, bugger its jimbo and his bloody jumper again."  Thanks all involved in the organising for a great weekend.

Phil

Archived