Wildcat Regatta Forster Sept30- Oct 1,2 2006

slammer

This was 2006

The 2006 Wildcat regatta is on the FIRST weekend of the October school holiday.

There is no better way to start the holidays or spend a long weekend.

Well unless you are planning a weekend WITH Paris...

2006 is retro. ACDC, The Radiators, Pink Floyd, Dire Straits (maybe)...

2006 sees the return of denim caps, stubbies (for the oldies), tiedye shirts, Golden Breed Shirts and some classic races.

Bring back the biff and bring back the big fat reach.

Bring back leaded petrol, leather footballs and get Frank Hyde and the Moose to call the Grand Final (Franks still alive so Rex is a backup).

Bring back every cat you can find and then bring it to Forster and race it.

September 30-Oct 1-2.

Would not miss it....

Should be the usual suspects there ranging from As, Ts, F18s, H16s, H18s, Nacras

Hope to see the 5.8 boys there as well as the Vic F16 guys who have joined us the last few years.

It's a shame that we do not see many 14 footers there ansy more and since Manning Park Regatta started, the few that did go, I don't believe show up any more. Hopefully they will offset their regatta dates and support a regatta which has a very long and colourful history and given so much back to cat sailing. If they show up with some numbers, then they can ask the race committee to cater for their needs. The Hobie boys have been running triangles there anyway.

Also there is talk that the NSW F18s may hold their States there........ Will find out more later.

Two families from down here in Adelaide have decided to take a weeks holiday each and bring two Alpha Omega F14's up to Forster to see just how good you guys REALLY are (and not only how good you say you are) he he.

Hopefully it should be a good weekends sailing and worth the gold bar that it is going to cost in petrol.

Yep Forster is a great place to sail, and holiday. I guess that if you're going to Forster, I'm going too. There'd be little point in me going to M/Park on my own.

I have a caravan on a block of land at Smith's Lake just a few minutes south of the Sailing Club which makes my accommodation pretty economical. biggrin.gif We'll probably set up a camp at the venue too.

I somehow doubt that the guys at M/Park will be too disappointed. rolleyes.gif

So, now all you Mozzie, Stingray, 14Sq, 16Sq, Prindle etc., etc., sailors, brush off the cobwebs and come to Forster and let's make this regatta another one to remember.........please wink.gif

Not too sure about the Mannering Park guys and the other 14s that attend NOT being disappointed (if the F14s don't attend Mannering Park).

I suppose it depends on where you are trying to aim with the F14s. If you are trying to impress existing 14 sailors and compete against them, then going to Forster would be a poor choice.

If you are looking to impress guys who sail bigger cats to show them how fast 14s can go, then Forster is a good choice.

I just seem to recall all the talk around 14s lately was trying to encourage them all to attend the one venue and also you F14 guys trying to encourage existing 14 sailors to go F14. I doubt that will now happen if you guys aren't going to be attending Mannering Park.

Also, there's a few 'standard' 14 guys willing to go up against the F14s. Don't forget, some of them beat an F14 across the line in a couple of races at Toukley!

I suppose the ideal scenario would be to have Mannering Park the following weekend. That way Darryl could attend both (if he's prepared to holiday for a week between them).

But we've already had that discussion on another forum and it wasn't to be.

Dave.

Dave, in five years of racing with 14's I've never even been asked for a test sail, not once. The only interest I've ever had from other 14 sailors in those five years has been cursory at best. It often just takes the form of outright disdain. Mostly I've felt more like a burglar trying to get off with the family jewels such is the level of disease I feel I'm engendering.

It's quite understandable in that I'm seen as a threat the status quo which, being understandably highly cherished is to be well protected. However it doesn't make it all that comfortable for me.

Yes there's been the odd race where other 14's have beaten me, even across the line on the very odd occasion but similarly I've beaten Tornadoes, H18's, 5m Mari's etc when they were also having a bad race but it means very little and it was the 430 without spinnaker. It's highly unlikely that will happen now unless I pitchpole or something and besides, Forster is where I want to sail and given that I'm no longer interested in trying to 'sell' the 430/F14, I just want to enjoy the boat without all the anguish that goes with maintaining some spurious level of perceived status. And, I honestly think there's more interest in F14 coming from the bigger boat groups and particularly sailors with international experience.

Yes it is a pity both regattas are to be held on the same w/end but that's not my doing either.

Darryl is in fact taking a week off so it just might be possible to entice him to a sail on Lake Illawarra or similar on the following w/e.

That is of course if anyone is interested.

[This message has been edited by berny (edited 06 June 2006).]

Fully understand your postion Berny. Although I am surprised you have experienced such a negative response from fellow 14 sailors. While I am a staunch supporter of my class, I want it to survive on its merits, so I welcome people coming along with new ideas on boats, such as the 430.

Considering you have always pushed 14s so strongly, I would have thought you would be seen as an asset, not a threat.

For your sake, I'm glad the pressure of trying to sell the class is off your shoulders and you are enjoying the very nice machine you've got. Like you say, it is likely to be a lot more potent now with the kite.

I'm disappointed I won't be able to see the "sail-off" between the 430 and the Alpha Omegas. I'm sure it will be interesting viewing.

If there is any chance of you guys wanting a follow-up match the next weekend, I'm sure Koonawarra Bay can put on a special one-off "14ft challenge" to accommodate it.

Let us know if you and Darryl would like something like this. I can see a lot of potential for such an event. (For Darryl's info, Koonawarra Bay is just south of Wollongong, a bit over an hour south of Sydney.)

Dave.

I’m not quite sure how this will be taken by all those guys who have supported (and still do) their class of 14’ cat, over many many years, but I have to say that it seems to me that the times throughout the seventies and eighties when the most adventure thrill seeking, willing to try anything new and faster sailors, seemed to be 14’ guys. If it hadn’t been for those guys sense of adventure and their desire for “more”, there wouldn’t have been the numbers of sailors who went to 16’, 18’ and larger cats. Most sailors that I know of, sailing all those larger classes today, started their cat sailing on 14’ cats of one brand or another. That attitude amongst the 14’ sailors has obviously changed over the years and it seems to me that predominately the guys sailing the “same old” 14’ cat classes that they have sailed on for years and years, usually against the same sailors that they have known and competed against for that same long length of time do not want to “change”. They don’t want to change classes, they don’t want to buy bigger boats, they don’t even want to spend anything over a few hundred dollars on anything to do with their cats either. They are perfectly happy and content to stay with what they have and know, and have no intention of ever changing as long as they can still sail, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. These classes of 14’ cats that hit the sailing scene way back in the dim dark past have, in the most part, remained stagnant in design and performance enhancement, and dare I say that many of the guys sailing them live in that past rather than embracing the future that is already here (you guys have become your fathers – it’s better the devil you know than the one you don’t).

I have never looked upon the sailors of the existing 14’ cats as a “potential” market. I have never thought that any of them would race out (or use their walking frames to hobble) to buy any new and superior 14’ cat available to replace the “old slow friend” that they now have. If I thought that there would be any sort of a lucrative market for us from out of the existing 14’ cat sailors I should immediately have my head read.

That leads to why we sail with the cats that we do. When we first raced the F14 against other 14’ cats, they were completely wasted afternoons of “racing”. There was no racing, in fact the 14’ sailors did not even realise that we were sailing on the same course with them. Apart from the start line, they never saw us for the rest of the race and we were literally packed up, showered, changed, and at the bar before they had even crossed the finish line. We don’t call that racing, more like boring. So that was when we decided to sail with the larger cats for some proper competition, and it has been the best decision that we could have made.

That is why we are not going to Mannering Park to sail against all the 14’ cats.

Why travel all the way from SA to NSW to sail virtually by yourself for three days? Why sail against a group of 14’ sailors who have shown almost no interest in Bernys 430, although it is acknowledged that it’s performance compared to any other “establishment” classes of 14’cat, is like chalk and cheese, and they show about the same amount of interest in F14 as a whole. Why not go where there WILL be competitive sailing just a few miles up the coast, where, the guys on the larger “faster” cats, at least show some respect and interest in the F14 concept and treat the idea as an “option” and not like the 14’ cat sailors do by seeing them more like a “threat” to their comfort zone.

These are my views and they could be incorrect, but I am sure if they are disagreed with you will let me know in no uncertain manner.

I don't agree with everything said, but in the greater part I do.

It is similar to the Maricats puting the weight limits on sailors on the new boats and not even consulting the manufacturer who knows the boats better than anyone.

The lighter (class legal) boats have been penalised so they can keep the racing closer. I agree with close racing but you have to keep up with the times.

Would you buy a brand new Commodore and de-power it so it performs like a 1974 Kingswood???

But I do agree that the 14 guys have done a wonderful job of getting the class going again, as have the Nacra boys promoting that class.

Dave, a 'sail off' at Koonawarra post Forster would be dependant on just how far the AO's finish in front of the 430 at WildCat biggrin.gif The boat might be up to it but the skipper is very suspect. rolleyes.gif

How many boats do you think we could encourage to participate?

So who's going to Forster???

[This message has been edited by berny (edited 10 June 2006).]

• 3 weeks later...

Back to the wildcat this was my introduction to regatta's and sailing clubs. Let me say that the passion that these guys have that everyone that participates has fun and enjoys themselves and in the organisation,is not matched in any other sport I have been involved in. It is about sailing not about class wars, infighting, who has what boat etc. You guys want to know why catamaran sailing is declining let me give my opinion EGO'S. Yes egos, youve got some joker wanting to run a regatta for Hobies at the same time, people arguing about spinnakers etc. Lets remember why people sail IT'S FUN. Also the cost of boats like everything else in life is going up and the manufacterers are making harder to get entry at a reasonable competitive level, but this aside after have a hydra old hobie stingray I have fun on all boats and enjoy the racing just as much as the next bloke(or Lady)

So if you know someone with a cat in the yard, help them to get it ready and encourage them to the wildcat regatta (The greatest show on earth) for my money anyway and get those who haven't sailed before to come along.Lets get the party started in October and build the numbers back up at all regattas and sailing clubs in general. Leave all petty squables behind and lets have fun. Really at the end of the day boats on water people equals members equals sustaining clubs and sailing of cats survives. OK I am Done

[This message has been edited by shappy (edited 27 June 2006).]

I reckon there should be a prize for the oldest cat there. A 6 pack of KB or some Sydney Draft. My preference was for a Dinner Ale.

If there is going to be a lot of chaps there, then maybe someone might have an old copy of TUBULAR BELLS they could bring with them. But it would have to be an 8track, as the Sandman has an 8 track and I haven't got around to replacing it with a cassette player.

I've got leather balls too. So the footy should be grouse.

I'll be there Shappy, I've read it yeah. Give me a coldie

Give me a reach and heaps of fun. That weekend is for sailing and meeting new people and keeping sailing fun.

Tugg

• 1 month later...

Dave if you needed any further evidence of the lack of interest in F14 by 14ft sailors in general, you need only look at the number of comments 14ft sailors are making on this thread.

I think I have correctly assessed the sentiment here.

This is a regatta blog not an argument about 14ft vs F14 cats hey who cares we are all sailing. Dave if you enjoy F14 go for it love to have you and any other 14ft cats at the wildcat. Just quietly I would love to see the F14's mixing it with the F18's.

• 1 month later...

I have read with interest all the comments on 14s and venues, at our coming 14' cat regatta I will canvas all entrants for interest in a date change for our regatta, so that 14s can have Foster as another regatta on their callender. P.S. good luck to our F18, 5.8s sailers at the Wildcat, with a bit of luck I will enjoy the 07 Wildcat in company with a large fleet of obselete (if I believe all I read above ), 14s.

I didn't say obsolete. I am just disappointed that the 14's feel the need that they have to have their own regatta on the same weekend as the biggest regatta in NSW.

I am over the moon with what many people have done rebuilding catamaran sailing, inparticular the Maricat's and 5.8's.

Back in the 80's and early 90's, there was a travelling series that was over 10-12 weekends in summer, and not one regatta clashed with another. It was sensational and classes were booming.

I just think the more we can stick together the better for all sailors and classes.

I am just upset I sold my Maricat.

Archived