Looking for a new jib and tramp

Tim731

Hey all,

Im looking for a Jib, jib furler and tramp for my MK1 (at least i think its a mk1, has a seperate traveller rail) just for sailing around the bay. Also wondering what i would be looking at for a new set of stays, dolphen striker and cable and new gunwale for both hulls with postage to Callala Bay NSW.

Cheers in advance guys.

Dont go second hand on the dolphin striker, if it breaks you will be in a whole world of worry.  I'd even say dont go second hand on the stays, back in the early days of me owning a Mari I had a stay break on me on Trial Bay with my breast feeding wife on the boat and a hungry baby on the shore at the wrong side (upwind) of the bay, was not a good day.

Thanks mick just sent off an email.

My stays aren't to bad I don't think. My dolphin striker cable I'm not so sure about and I think my actual striker has a bit of a bend in it. I have a bit of work to do on the only girl. I've been reading up on all the posts and there really helpful and give lots of confidence.

I got a quote to get my tramp completely restitched today being $100 or about $320 for a new one. Not sure which way to go.

On a side note is there a need to have to forstays connected if I have the jib on? I generally do however I'm not sure if it's needed.

Thanks again guys

Not really a need to have the forestays on when running a jib, as you will need to have them adjusted so as the jib forestay wire is taking the load otherwise your jib luff will be too loose and floppy and you will not get any shape in your jib.  However if you are worried about the security of any of the stay wires it may pay to connect them just as a backup anyway especially if you are not racing and just going for a blast around the bay, where there is no rescue boat on duty to tow you home if you lose the mast over the side.

Phil

I have 2 contacts for cheap tramps,( $270 at last pricing) made by motor trimers not sailmakers, they are good, but not as good as production tramps, and, black mesh only.

I have 1, as new, (Used 2/3 times) production tramp,  suit Mari S/S, grey mesh $300 02 43591729

A must, for 2nd hand Maricats, is a new Dolphin striker, could save you hundreds in replacement beams.

just a thought, for the dolphin striker the one I was given was quite a bit thicker than the standard shrouds,  I heard that the best way to tension is to release the bolts on the rear beam and then tension the striker so that the hulls and beam line up.  I didn't do that, just got a nice tension on mine but it does make sense.

Archived