Best place you’ve sailed on the East Coast

clance

Planning winter road trip from Jervis Bay to Cairns with my newly acquired 14ft beach cat and a yet to be aquired root top tent.

Looking for recommendations of camping/sailing spots along the way.. eg lakes, beaches, rivermouths.. ideally where I can leave the boat rigged for a day or two in line of sight from the campgrounds.

Im with Jeff [mad about ] about GLSC , may need to talk to them about camping  there, I think unofficially it could be good for a short time. Port Hunter SC on Newcastle harbour is another good place to have a look at, friendly short time camping and if the weathers good you can stick your nose out of the break wall and experience out great backyard [ocean ]

Sweet, thanks for the tip, I’ve sailed southern end of Wallis lake, will have to check out GLSC.

Newcastle sounds hectic, love the idea of throwing a bit of ocean swell into the mix.

Port Stephens looks like a fairly protected bay too.

Might have to invest in a book showing the best campsites 

• 4 weeks later...

Trial Bay at South West Rocks... beautiful and safe spot to sail and camp... although I did the B & B Thang when I was there...
Check YouTube for an excellent windsurfing video showcasing the bay...
"South West Rocks Windsurfing" by Paul Van Bellen

On the way up there's Port Stephens of course...

Don't know the timing of your trip but have you thought of timing your trip with sailing at clubs and regattas on the way, I'm planning Wildcat at start of October, Mission Beach regatta including sailing around Dunk Island, 22nd October, Lake Coothabarra in early Nov, with a couple of places in between

Archived