Sauna Sail 2010

mitchlb44

• 1 month later...

Not as well as I would have liked. First time in the water was saturday 1st race. Took me a while to get used to the boat which is a lot different to the Windrush I had before. When I had it going well, it had great speed. I was keeping up with most of the Hobie 16's etc. However, made a few blues, stuffed up a few starts etc and that puts you behind pretty quick. Overall, made improvements as the weekend progressed. In the last race crossed the line in very light conditions at the same time as five other boats; so was competitive. You can see the results if you google 'sauna sail 2010'. The boat attracted a lot of attention during the weekend. It looks great and sails well. Let me know if you want more information. I race in Melbourne every Saturday.

Hi mferguson - You certainly did attract a lot of attention! From the luxury of the stingray we noticed that you probably weren't sheeting you main hard enough when sailing upwind... I had this problem when I first got the square top sail on the stingray... they take quite a lot of tension to get the leech to stand up!

(sorry if I sound like a knowitall - just what my crew and I noticed)

No problem at all. Happy to get any tips I can. This is my 1st season of racing a catamaran so I am learning every day. Sauna sail was the 1st time the boat was in the water so it was a weekend of learning where everything is, where it goes and how it works. You weren't the only one to point out that I didn't have the mainsheet in hard enough during the 1st race. Unfortunately the best wind was on Saturday where I probably had the best chance. In saying that, my best race was the last one where the wind was very light. Hopefully will meet you next year at Hazelwood. Thanks again and all the best.,

Archived