nacra square tops

HooD

The square top is how the boat is sold in the USA now and has been for some time. It is standard.

Yeah, looks great. It would work here if done right but is there a reason??? It is up to the boys in Brisbane and I doubt they would go near that. The front foil was enough of a hiccup and there is enough confusion and in-fighting with the weight issues.

I disagree with the fact that people buy nationals in our class. We sail a one design class, yes new boats are nice but they are not the difference between a win and a loss! Our 5.8 class is going through a growth spurt at the moment, please do not hinder this buy all the un-necessary talk about changing the boats.The foil was a needed change for the class, it improved the life of the boat, increased performance and all at a minimal cost.

We all need a bit of common sense here. Obvioulsy you have the right to do to your boat what you see fit, but in my opinion money is better spent on new sails (class legal) and improving your boat speed so when you DO attend Nacra regattas you will compete better and learn more from other Nacra sailors.

We have to remember we all bought our Nacras for the same reason, cause they are the best boat around. Lets just go sailing and enjoy them!

I will reserve judgement on people buying National Titles when a minimum boat weight is set for racing at States or Nationals.

If people want to enjoy tinkering with their boat & sails, then it's fair to warn them of pitfalls involved in eligibility for Club/State/National Championships, but otherwise leave them alone.

[This message has been edited by dryzabone 644 (edited 19 January 2007).]

Originally posted by Emmessee:

The square top is how the boat is sold in the USA now and has been for some time. It is standard.

Sorry Emmessee but that is not right at all.

you can get a replacement mylar radial cut with a pin head. the square top is not nor has ever been class legal.

Trust me on this, that is how this whole topic started for me.

After reading the class rules for aus the section on sails is quite clear, it says your allowed to use sails designed by nacra made for nacra. the rules do NOT specify country. so a nacra sail from the US is quite legal in AU. as you expect from an international class.

I have gone in search of a better nacra mainsail but the only other option is the mylar and they come with a clew traveler (yuck on both counts)

only bright side is that it turned up a cheap pentax main for me to pay with. a man cannot possibly have enough toys smile.gif

and before anyone starts on the why dont you buy a new main rubbish, since 2003 I have purchased 3 new mains and jibs, about a set a year.

I have supported the BCC/Nacra by buying lots and lots of gear from them.

thank you:P

Just thought I would clear some things up.

1.The NACRA 5.8 is not an international class, if it was all the sails would have AUS in front of the numbers.

2. American sails can not be used in Australian, after all the American 5.8 sails where made out of mylar.

3. The rules have been amended for Australia and are very different from the American rules. The sails must be manufactured by NACRA Australia if you want to compete at a NACRA event.

as an interrested onlooker, it appears to me that a lot of people here are looking for excuses for not winning races, not how to improve their skills, how many people here actually own or race a 5.8? how many nacra regattas are there a year? and how many club races are there a year? if you are really serious about this sail you would have it ... not just be talking about it... or perhaps the boat is too heavy or to light.. the crew is too heavy or too light...the boat is too old or too new ....

when this thread has expired what will be the next heated discussion? .. the colour of the tyres on the trailer? what I see is that the rules have been set.. so either you play by them or you take your bat and ball and go home...... don't forget the great race .... feb 10

The Class rules start with:

"International NACRA class rules pertaining to one design control as amended for australia"

http://www.goosemarine.com.au/_content/documents/general/Nacra%20class%20Rules%20page%201.pdf

While the 5.8 as a international class may be a dead stick, the rules were written to allow for international competition.

the mylar sails are class legal and have been used in AUS in the past. I have seen them as original equipment on nacra 16sq.

Section 6.1 does not mention the word "Australia" as per the link provided.

Now Just-me

1. what on earth does this sail have to do with winning races? maybe inter class vyc racing, but there would be no advantage if everyone had them.

2. I am a 5.8 sailor, have been sailing them since about 1995. (though i didnt get my own 5.8 until much later)

3.in my state there a total of 0 nacra events per year.

4.I typically I sail in more than 70 races at club and state level per year. No wonder im going through sails quickly smile.gif

5. I am working out the freight on my new(used) square top now. will be really interesting to see how much difference it makes.

6. my boat is not new but its not heavy either. i sail with 160kilos crew weight which feels just nice on most days.

7. I have always been partial to white wall tyres, they do look cool on the pt cruisers smile.gif

8. yes the rules have been set, as per the link provided. they do however have some issues. another example is section 4.5 and 4.6. regarding the amount of metal you can remove from a beam. It as listed as 50cm but that is of course a unit of length not area. so the rules basically say your allowed to shorten the beams by a maximum of 50cm, cant see that working out very well, the tramp would have issues to begin with smile.gif

well it seems that you have answered your own questions then ... if you have no nacra events in your state and you sail 70 odd club events ... you can do as you please without all the fuss. and I reckon that white wall tyres are a must for the boat trailer!!!

be happy

Archived