5.8 regattas SEQ

Drew

Would it be possible to organise a 5.8 regatta circuit for the coming summer. There have been around 10 boats turning up to recent regattas. With a little bit of prompting I am sure the class could be realy strong again.

What about the traditional Nacra regatta at wivenhoe or Samsonvale begining of September (I believe Cootharaba does not want to do it??)

Humpybong cat challenge end of Sept ??

Weekend at Cleveland

RQYS

Hervey bay before Xmas?

Any suggestions??

Can we create a list and I can get it sent to all members.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Drew,

Im looking forward to sailing your old boat as much as I can over summer and hope to gain some experience against other 5.8s, so the more regattas that can be organized the better, just have to work around family commitments. What about other established regattas such as the great race and Cootharaba all boats and cat challenge, it would be good to see the number of 5.8s at these that turned up to the Wivenhoe marathon.

Cheers Nick

Yeah good idea Drew.

Haven't heard anything about the Allboats regatta at Cootharaba usualy the end of August around the 24th.

Humpybash is 19th-20th September.

Cat challange is the first weekend of November.

Hervy Bay Mutihull challange is early December.

I will be trying to do all these regattas.

Hi guys thanks for replying.

Not very many submissions. I am not sure if that means no interest, people do not use this forum or do not plan ahead.

Nick, have you sailed the boat yet?

Need a spot in October (not St Helena cup weekend)

Drew would be nice to see some more 5.8s at different regattas.But having seen how reluctant people are to travel i think makes it hard to organize it. The 58s in bundy will travel almost anywhere in the state given enough notice but earlier this year when we traveled to the first 2 days of cat week on the gold coast we were disapointed to find that the 58s at cleaveland werent prepared to travel the short distance to compete.I understand that people have lives out side of sailing but to make a 5.8 regatta work you need to get them to tow their boats to where ever the racing is . I will travel but there has to be some compromises. Why should the boats out side of brisbane have to do all the driving .You mention hevery bay , why not come to bundy and sail saturday here and then go to hervery bay to sail sunday , make a weekend of it and race at 2 locations over the 2 days ? I like the idea of a round robin series but if we are the ones continualy spending 4-6 hours driving one way then our interest would quickly drop.

Originally posted by Bradk:

Drew would be nice to see some more 5.8s at different regattas.But having seen how reluctant people are to travel i think makes it hard to organize it. The 58s in bundy will travel almost anywhere in the state given enough notice but earlier this year when we traveled to the first 2 days of cat week on the gold coast we were disapointed to find that some of the 58s at cleaveland werent prepared to travel the short distance to compete.I understand that people have lives out side of sailing but to make a 5.8 regatta work you need to get them to tow their boats to where ever the racing is . I will travel but there has to be some compromises. Why should the boats out side of brisbane have to do all the driving .You mention hevery bay , why not come to bundy and sail saturday here and then go to hervery bay to sail sunday , make a weekend of it and race at 2 locations over the 2 days ? I like the idea of a round robin series but if we are the ones continualy spending 4-6 hours driving one way then our interest would quickly drop.

from my memory there were a couple of cleveland boats at the cat week(I was one of them), and there were 6 boats from cleveland at the wivenhoe regatta, we will travel but it has to be at a time that suits the families etc. i've been to bundy and had a great time and i look forward to going again

not committed to the lake ... cleveland yacht club has its own 5.8 series on the sailng programme for this year. there are plenty of us older 5.8 boats to compete against at the club. the club has been putting a lot of effort into building their 5.8 fleet and now are enjoying the rewards of their labour.

Brad I will be at Cootharaba and I think Drew will be there as well.

Can't really speak for other 5.8s in se qld, but I am prepared to travel. I like your idea of sailing at Bundy on a Saturday and Hervey bay on the Sunday. Do you sail every Saturday at Bundy?

Russell do you have dates for your 5.8 series? I would like to come down and do a couple.

Would be good to see the Cleveland 5.8s at the Cootharaba allboats regatta as well. This regatta is at the end of August before most clubs seasons start.

Yeh Drew, i have had the boat out the last 3 weekends now, the only decent wind i have had so far was at bumpybong Saturday just gone, boat went well but i need to do some repairs to the starboard dagger board case. I’m hoping to get to Cootharaba the weekend before all boats and give it a good run. Unfortunately I am tied up on the Saturday 22nd August, but hope make the start for whatever racing they have on Sunday.

Scott as far as I know the series is to be held in conjunction with one of the other series being held at the cleveland club and to my knowelledge points will only be allocated to club members (which I think is fair enough) keep an eye on the cleveland yacht club web site for more details. I would love to see you down at the club for a visit now and again .... or better still as a member. Last season we were lucky enough to have Jorgo come down for a few races and I am hoping that he comes back next season, good happy people with the right attitude are always welcome. On another note I see that we now have an F18 in the yard so that will add to the competition. gradually we are getting quite a variety of craft down there 16sq's, 5.0's,hobies, f18, mossies, and of course the mighty 5.8's, with sailors with a wide variety of skills and experience from novice to quite good, as well as the mono fleet and the yachts. Then there is the learn to sail classes. Check out the sailing programme when it is posted and you will see that it is quite comprehensive to cater for the wide range of experience of sailors

put all this together with the building improvements going on and...... we will be in for a great season. The club committees' have really got it together.

That may be a bit long winded, but I really think that we will be in for a great season

Hey scott

during the summer season we sail every saturday and every second during the winter season.I believe hervey bay sails sundays so our plan here will be to sail here saturdays and then sail the bay sundays at this point in time ,that may change but if one 5.8 goes both will go

This is the sort of response I was hoping for.

Yes I will be going to Lake Catharabah in August.

Bradk I think it would be a pretty tough ask to drive to Bundy, sail pack up the boat go to Hervey bay the next day sail again then go home. I feel worn out just thinking about it. Maybe as Scott sugested a 2 day sail just before Xmas even if it was promoted as a warm up to the nationals. I would probably leave the boat up there.

I think that to get numbers to regattas or even specific days they need to be organised well in advance and secondly everyone needs to be personally asked to come a week beforehand. Sailing in a one design class is exactly the same as a team sport.

If you could pick a cleveland day scott I would be happy to try to get there. Nominate it as one of the days in the calander.

I will try and sail about 9 days or regattas before Xmas.

5.8 calander (just add to it and repost)

22/23 August Cootharabah allboat

Sept/Oct nacra training weekend???

19/ 20 Sept Humpybash

31/10/09 1/11/09 Cat challenge Southport

Early December Hervey Bay multihull

28/12/09 nationals Hervey bay

30/01/10 cat week Southport

• 2 weeks later...

Hey scott

i am not on the commitity for the club here and dont think at this time that the years racing calander has been set up . If it follows from last year then most saturday racing includes 2 races for the day. One quick race normally starting at 10.30 and running 45 minutes to an hour long followed by a second race after lunch ranging in time from 1 hour to 2 1/2 hours depending on the weather of course.Championship race days there is only one race .

Drew racing one day in one place then driving to the next place and racing again next day is no harder then racing two days in the same place perviding your not talking about driving 4 or 5 hours between venues. But that is my own opinion .

• 2 weeks later...

We will be at Cootharaba this weekend providing no one gets the flue.

May also have a self contained unit right on the water if anyone needs one. PM me.

Hopefully a few 5.8s turn up. If anyone knows someone who has a 5.8 try and encourage them to come.

Cheers

Archived